Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

4 sealed subwoofers with GRS 12SW-4HE

Hi guys. i am thinking of building 4 sealed subs with GRS 12SW-4HE in a relatively small sealed enclosure up to 1.5 cu ft, or should i go with 8in vented. or any other recomendations? i dont need crazy output, but i guess 4 subs will make an even bass response in a relatively large basement. also price is very good. any other recomendations?

Comments

• I use a pair ported in my space. Great bang for the buck drivers.

Bogda89
    I have a signature.
  • @jr@mac said:
    I use a pair ported in my space. Great bang for the buck drivers.

i might go for a ported pair myself. are ts parameters accurate? what size box works well?

• @Bogda89 said:

@jr@mac said:
    I use a pair ported in my space. Great bang for the buck drivers.

i might go for a ported pair myself. are ts parameters accurate? what size box works well?

I did 2.3 cubic feet tuned to 25hz, iirc.

Parameters were off initially, took quite a while to loosen up the suspension.

Steve_LeeAnalogkid455
    I have a signature.
  • I have 4 sealed in my setup driven with a Crown XLS1500.

Steve_LeeAnalogkid455
  • My older crown is in the image.

• Mine serve duty as stands for my bigger speakers.

Steve_LeeAnalogkid455
    I have a signature.
  • edited May 29

Are you using DSP and big amplifiers? If so consider sealed your friend, it has the best cone controll after boosting the low end.
    If you are looking for the best output without DSP then ported is the way to go.

tajanes
  • Typically, i find vented designs to have more output than sealed, especially if not using DSP.
    Not sure where you are coming from there, Ken.

• Thanks Ben, I fixed my post.

Steve_Lee
  • I had run 2 ported originally, but the boxes were too big for me to put them where I wanted. I needed 4 sealed to match the output of 2 ported.

• @johnny5jz said:
    I have 4 sealed in my setup driven with a Crown XLS1500.

Looks like a nice place to listen to music. What turntable is that?

• what do you guys think of dual opposed configuration but one down firing and one up firing. will cone be affected by the "sag".

• @Bogda89 said:
    what do you guys think of dual opposed configuration but one down firing and one up firing. will cone be affected by the "sag".

Yes, they are large, heavy cones with a lot of xmech. Sag will definitely be an issue.

I have a signature.
  • Maybe a trapezoid shape with just enough angle to give some side clearance. The majority of the force would still cancel.

• @Analogkid455 said:

@johnny5jz said:
    I have 4 sealed in my setup driven with a Crown XLS1500.

Looks like a nice place to listen to music. What turntable is that?

That is the Fluance RT85. I really like it.

Analogkid455