Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who's Online (7)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2way with extended horn

edited May 29 in DIY

This looks tempting- at +600Hz above 100dB eq’ed vs the ESS amt

https://usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

Steve_Lee

Comments

• That is awfully expensive for home use and you still have to buy another driver plus 2 90x40 horns that weren't specifically disclosed. A pair of Heil AMT's can be had for about 1/4 of the cost . . .

Otherwise, they look great!

• edited May 31

@Steve_Lee said:
    That is awfully expensive for home use and you still have to buy another driver plus 2 90x40 horns that weren't specifically disclosed. A pair of Heil AMT's can be had for about 1/4 of the cost . . .

Otherwise, they look great!

Yes, no doubt the Heils are a great relative value…but the chance to get the Xover even further below and out of the 1 to 4kHz range… Not all the way to (a gleeful) 380Hz, but 600 potential vs 800Hz is significant (with much more dB headroom). I’ve become a fan of ‘Four-Midables’ but a chance to x out a supplemental super-tw, and with a two-way is tempting.

The downside being the concern of upper mid ‘coloring’ vs a broad-range mid+ conventional driver (non-horn) which I find incredibly clean and appealing.

EDIT: I have my previous two-box build in the basement that I could replace the top coaxial... It is setup as active btwn the push-pull woofer box and the coaxial, so easy-peasy to play around with Xovers to a new top. Its the $$$ that's giving me a bit of heartburn. Pair $1g with horns, ouch.

BilletSteve_Lee