Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Tweeters are boring

I frequently want to build little 2-ways because I get to experiment with all the fun bass details and midrange characteristics of various woofers without a huge time or cost outlay. When it comes to choosing a tweeter though, I don't get the same excitement, so I frequently end up just using an LD22 or LD25X because they're small, good and particularly cheap for me. That gets old after a while though.

I'd like to get excited about tweeters, but they don't seem to impact the sound of the speaker nearly as much as the woofer and the old standbys are kind of boring. Nothing from Dayton is intruiging (unlike they're woofer lineup imo), the cheap ones from SB and Tymphany have been used to death, there's a bunch of Scan, Seas and Morel I haven't heard, but they're pretty $$$. Are there any newish tweeters out there you guys are messing with in the $30-75 range that are special either because of the format, distortion levels, off-axis response, etc.?

Comments

• The GRS ribbons are nice and a natural to use with 4" midwoofers.

I have a signature.
  • I have some buyouts that are similar to the RT003 Beston Round Ribbon Tweeter that could be fun to print a waveguide for, or a framless tweeter.
    The Dayton Audio AMTHR-4 Hi-Res looks intriguing. The Seas Prestige H1280-06 22TFF also looks different.
    I have also been thinking about something like the pc105 isobaric as an extented midrange with a cheap woofer and tweeter (dayton clasic, hivi t20). The isobaric back to back should help lower distortion. You could use a smaller full range and use it as the tweeter.

• I am also working on a sb20fr 8 inch. I could cut a box for you as well. When was the last time you tried an 8ich for tweeter territory? :p

• I am looking fwd to my Hancocks using the AMTHR-4 and SIG180.
    I'll also be using these:
    CAT378 with the NE180-4
    Bozhen with Rev7-4
    DA32TX with TB underhung 8"
    Aircirc 6600 with Usher 8948
    PoI T26 or Seas titanium buyout and Rival 7" Kevlar
    SS Discovery D2606 with PL18
    Atlantic Technology XT25 double magnet buyouts with maybe Dynavox 5 or Focal 5"

I have options....

Why not go tweeterless since they don't entice you? Find a good widebander?

• Mad has both CAT298 and MDT29 for $72, which are essentially the same drivers.

• If you haven't already tried the RT1.3WE Ribbon tweeter I would highly recommend it. Very airy and clean/detailed.
    Was an eye-opener for me . . .

• @jr@mac said:
    The GRS ribbons are nice and a natural to use with 4" midwoofers.

The BG planar knockoffs?

• @DanP said:

@jr@mac said:

The BG planar knockoffs?

No, I see now. Are those Fountek knockoffs? They look pretty good.

• @Steve_Lee said:
    If you haven't already tried the RT1.3WE Ribbon tweeter I would highly recommend it. Very airy and clean/detailed.

That one looks like it could be fun.

• @DanP said:

@Steve_Lee said:
    If you haven't already tried the RT1.3WE Ribbon tweeter I would highly recommend it. Very airy and clean/detailed.

That one looks like it could be fun.

That's the tweeter in Craig's Keramiskas which you may have heard. I have an extra pair, so if that is the one you decide you want to try, you can have a pair. Craig, Ben and JohnH are all fans (which is why I have them).

Not sure if you are interested in a Chinese knock-off but there is a Scan-speak beryllium knock of on eBay under DavidLouis Be25/Be28 and a little cheaper on Aliexpress under MeloDavid Be25/Be28. About $65/$70 apiece on Ali. Dcibel has measurements a HTGuide.com HERE under the title "The best tweeter I've tested yet".

Steve_LeeDanP
  • The Radian lt2 is a cool little planar.

Steve_LeejhollanderDanP
  • @DanP said:

@DanP said:

@jr@mac said:

The BG planar knockoffs?

No, I see now. Are those Fountek knockoffs? They look pretty good.

They are, and are pretty nice.

I have a signature.
  • I do like this one,

https://solen.ca/en/products/seas-prestige-27tff06-h831-26mm-textile-dome-tweeter

Bolts right up (slight mod) to WG148R

David.

Steve_LeeDanP
  • I tend to agree not much to get excited about.
    I still want to spend more time with this SB
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/tweeters/sb-acoustics-sb26cdc-c000-4-alum-ceram-dome-tweeter/
    +1 to the small Radian.
    I want to do another multiple entry horn with a compression driver.
    The tweeter array or small full range array might be fun. I keep putting those buy out TV speakers in my cart.

jholtzDanP
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited June 9

@jhollander said:
    I tend to agree not much to get excited about.
    https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/tweeters/sb-acoustics-sb26cdc-c000-4-alum-ceram-dome-tweeter/

Yep I got a pair to MTM with Mac05s whenever I get around to it. The construction looks a bit more unique compared to soft domes when you see it up close in person. The former pokes out a bit past the dome edge.

Also have a black one without the ceramic coating for a bit cheaper.
    https://madisoundspeakerstore.com/hard-dome-tweeter/sb-acoustics-sb26adc-c000-4-aluminum-dome-tweeter/

Out of the price range by a bit, but I'm interested to try the Fountek NeoCd3.5H some time. Since over on ampslab he got flattest response with the tweeter just sitting on top of the enclosure. That would be neat to have it mounted with all the bits exposed.
    https://ampslab-spk.com/2021/02/25/fountek-cd35h/

• @jhollander said:
    +1 to the small Radian.
    The tweeter array or small full range array might be fun. I keep putting those buy out TV speakers in my cart.

Is that the tweeter Jim used in his latest project? Looks like it the SD DIY picture.

• edited June 9

@PWRRYD said:

I really want to try the Faital Pro HF 14AT 1.4in

But the price…

These SB Audience Bianco 75 CD -T compression drivers 1.4 in are close - good low end, smooth extension, and a bit less expensive

Steve_LeeBillet
  • @PWRRYD said:

@jhollander said:
    +1 to the small Radian.

Is that the tweeter Jim used in his latest project? Looks like it the SD DIY picture.

Yes it is. I like the tweeter a lot.

Jim

• Those sure sounded nice, Jim. And I wasn't expecting such a reasonable price. If the cost was the same, would you still choose those over one of the Hiquphons?

• I know you asked Jim, but for me, that answer would be likely due to application. The SB26 will likely play quite a bit lower than the Hiq as they are different diameter domes at 26 and 20. If money is no object, and 2.8k+ is acceptable, then the Hiq is likely the better choice.

Steve_Lee
  • @tajanes
    Factoring in the hefty smoothing on the fatalpro those look near identical in response. Any variance I'd chalk up to different horns used.

tajanesSteve_Lee
  • @Tom_S said:
    Those sure sounded nice, Jim. And I wasn't expecting such a reasonable price. If the cost was the same, would you still choose those over one of the Hiquphons?

Hi Tom,

Tweeters are really subjective. I like the Hiquphons and have used them in several builds in the distant past but For clarity and definition, I find the SBcdc tweeters extremely nice, plus they're affordable. I'm still a recovering ribbon fan and I also really like AMT's. The problem is their ability to cross low which is where the SBCDC shine. It opens up lots of opportunities.

HTH

Jim

Steve_Lee6thplanetPWRRYDMikegTom_S
  • The only new or upcoming tweeter (albeit not in the stated price range, I expect) that seems remotely interesting to me is the upcoming (one hopes) Purifi model - 34mm aluminum diaphragm but with a phase plug and waveguide that are claimed to give very wide and constant directivity all the way up to 20 kHz. After having lived with the JBL 708i as LCR (compression driver with something like 10mm or 16mm exit; constant 100 deg horizontal directivity to beyond 20 kHz) in our family room for almost 3 years now, I don't think the wide sweet spot enabled by a tweeter that doesn't beam is something to dismiss. Otherwise it's just variations on a not particularly interesting theme.

I guess after a while the magic material this, magic profile that, magic former whatever just doesn't tingle any nerves. Most of which I suspect wouldn't even be distinguishable in the blind in the same waveguide (or on the same waveguide, in the case of a flat waveguide, aka "baffle"... It's really about directivity, extension, and flexibility (i.e. ability to play reasonably low while maintaining composure).