Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Dynaudio drivers anyone?

CSS has been approached by a company going out of business that wants to sell us NOS 50pcs Dynaudio 17W75 XL 04 woofers and 50pcs Dynaudio D21/2 tweeters. We're considering doing a limited run TM bookshelf kit, but at the asking price, this would directly compete with the 1TD-X, so it doesn't make a ton of sense for us. Any interest here in a kit, a set of drivers, or even the whole 100pc lot? They're asking $5k for the lot (plus $300 shipping), which comes out to $50/driver, but we'd have to sell for at least double that to make it worth the risk.

hifisideAnalogkid455

Comments

• https://site.diy-loudspeakers.com/images/datasheets/loudspeakers/dynaudio/WOOFERS/DYNAUDIO_17W75XL.pdf

I'm a driver junkie - they look interesting and like possible NS10M woofer substitute . . . Maybe . . .

• I bought a pair of those Dynaudio 17W75XL's from Craig K many years ago. Their T/S parameters were very different than the manufacturer's. Possibly could have been from sitting on a shelf unused for a decade or two (cone sag?). Anyway the pair I had couldn't possibly be used in a ported enclosure so I stuck them in aperiodic enclosures (sealed with variovents). They sounded very good but definitely needed a sub(s) for the last octave or two. The pair I bought had stamped steel frames. Do these have cast frames?

Steve_Lee
  • That does not seem like a good deal for bulk NOS pricing. Seems like they are trying to sell them at cost or a little over. I doubt many of us would pick those drivers compared to newer offerings in that price range. I don't think these stand a chance against the 1TDx.

Analogkid455
  • @PWRRYD said:
    I bought a pair of those Dynaudio 17W75XL's from Craig K many years ago. Their T/S parameters were very different than the manufacturer's. Possibly could have been from sitting on a shelf unused for a decade or two (cone sag?). Anyway the pair I had couldn't possibly be used in a ported enclosure so I stuck them in aperiodic enclosures (sealed with variovents). They sounded very good but definitely needed a sub(s) for the last octave or two. The pair I bought had stamped steel frames. Do these have cast frames?

No, looks like stamped frames, probably exactly like the ones you used. Probably with the same cone sag and distorted parameters.

• @kenrhodes said:
    That does not seem like a good deal for bulk NOS pricing. Seems like they are trying to sell them at cost or a little over. I doubt many of us would pick those drivers compared to newer offerings in that price range. I don't think these stand a chance against the 1TDx.

Yeah that's what we thought too. The only appeal for us would be to appeal to die hard Dynaudio vintage fans, but that doesn't seem to be quite the thing it used to be 10-15 years ago.

• When I read you post earlier that is what I thought... Doesn't seem like "wholesale pricing".

• Sounds like dead inventory from the beginning when dynaudio sold it to them. In my experience with this market so far is your going to have a lot of paper weights. My $.02

• Yup. Low ball them and let it go.

• Don't bother with them. You might end up with a pallet of junk you will just have to get rid of.

• edited June 12

Buy them all... then in a year sell them all to me for $500 and free shipping. Come on, that how's we roll Baby!!!

Steve_Leerjj45
  • @PWRRYD said:
    Buy them all... then in a year sell them all to me for $500 and free shipping. Come on, that how we roll Baby!!!

Line array, 25 per side?

DanP
  • How willing are they to measure the random stock ? If they have the hardware to do it .

• @a4eaudio said:

@PWRRYD said:
    Buy them all... then in a year sell them all to me for $500 and free shipping. Come on, that how we roll Baby!!!

Line array, 25 per side?

A person could do a lot worse :p

• @Nicholas_23 said:
    How willing are they to measure the random stock ? If they have the hardware to do it .

Not sure and probably won't pursue anything. I'm not seeing the same fanboy behavior around Dynaudio that I'd seen in the past.

• edited June 12

Are they willing to send you a sample of each driver to test/measure before you take the whole lot?

If not, opt out!

PS. @Steve_Lee
    If you want to know where to find a good driver for $50, message me…

Steve_Lee
  • Let's not keep it a secret here, Thanh.

:)

• I picked-up those IEC baffle tested WF168WA05's as a midranger from Brad and they are on their way to me now - looks like twin sealed 8" MCM woofers and a ribbon tweeter in a 1.5 cu ft skinny tower in the future build . . . with pure DSP.

• edited June 13

Sorry, it’s not $50. I coulda sworn it was. Or perhaps the price is on the move…

I’ve heard those Dynaudio drivers- they are no longer SOTA but they can still sound quite pleasant, and they have a very smooth roll-off making it easy to manage with passive parts.

• Pass