Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

amp decision advice Adcom vs Parasound

edited July 1 in Related

2 nice (?) amps listed locally
Adcom GFA700 $450
Parasound HGA1205A $200

I don't NEED either amp, but I'd like to check out the sound quality,
and could probably get my money back at any time.
Any suggestions for the winner, winner chicken dinner?

thanks
don

Amp winner?
  1. Adcom GFA7000 $4501 vote
    1. YES, what a bargain for a monster!
      100.00%
    2. Eh, I need more beer money
        0.00%
  2. Parasound HCA1205A1 vote
    1. of course! just give the location and gas money
      100.00%
    2. not really, Deep Space Nine reruns are on Hulu
        0.00%
But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!

Comments

• I have both Parasound amps and a Adcom amp. They are both fantastic. Can't go wrong with Nelson Pass and John Curl designs. I also have a Stasis Nakamichi amp designed by Nelson Pass. Sounds really great.

tajanesrjj45Steve_Lee
  • Another forum member on another forum said he would take a Crown AB class over a Halo. He is a savvy computer programmer and electronics tech. He measured a higher noise floor in a Halo over an older XLS400. It was measurable in the noise floor that the background with no signal was not as clean as the Crown. Granted, this was about 12 years ago now. I would opt for the Adcom were I to choose between them.

rjj45
  • My daily driver is an old Parasound HCA1000a I bought on eBay years ago. I have nothing bad to say about it. Seems to drive low impedance loads well. I'll never sell it. I bought an Adcom 535 new back in the 80s. It sounded nice, but wasn't quite enough power for the Magnepans I had back then.

tajanesAnalogkid455
  • I'm a huge fan of both, and have used many amps of each brand. I think I prefer Parasound a little but couldn't really say why.

Analogkid455
  • Yeah, going to pursue the Parasound, mostly because reviews call it a beast, and it's $200. Been spending too much money on toys lately, so a pass on the Adcom. Thanks guys!

Analogkid4556thplanet
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!