Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New midrange filter mockup, discovered by JML...

JML had this circuit drawn over on PETT. He is using it with the former Epique 5.25" midbass in a big 3way. I found it to be rather novel in how it does what it does, so I'm sharing it here. I added the shorted coil and resistor, as it will add in countering the top-end and dip if needed. Everything else is as he had it drawn, values included, except that he used it in a series xover network instead.

I really like the simplicity of it, and how elegantly it does its job. It reminds me slightly of a cross between a di-aural and a ladder-delay filter with shifted values.

I zipped the .dxo for Xsim for those interested.

Comments

• edited July 21

I don't get it. What's special about it? I would want to avoid a short circuit at high frequency.

It's fairly badly drawn, this is the same circuit.

Steve_Leerjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I think you are supposed to take one or the other shunt out of the circuit?

• The series coil raises the impedance so its not a short.
    Yes, that is the same. The layout was interesting too, at least to me.
    Suit yourself...

Steve_Lee
  • edited July 21

Include the series coil and it's just a 3rd order filter.

This will provide a similar result without an impedance problem.

Filter transfer function comparison:

Impedance comparison:

I'll go back to my corner now.

Steve_Lee6thplanet
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • There are a lot of different ways to do this stuff . . .

Eggguy
  • @dcibel said:
    I don't get it. What's special about it? I would want to avoid a short circuit at high frequency.

It's fairly badly drawn, this is the same circuit.

Much more understandable for me. Thanks.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I just use DSP and forgo all the electronical stuff I don't have time/brainz to learn because I can test out and qualify at least 6 different XO points, Types and PEQ's on a 3-way alignment before JR can finish a 6 pack of tall Miller Lites on a Friday evening after work.

• edited July 22

@Steve_Lee said:
    I just use DSP and forgo all the electronical stuff I don't have time/brainz to learn because I can test out and qualify at least 6 different XO points, Types and PEQ's on a 3-way alignment before JR can finish a 6 pack of tall Miller Lites on a Friday evening after work.

I find that approx 2 beers is optimum for voicing passive Xovers... ha

Steve_Lee
  • Two Imperial Stouts and I'm a goner.

rjj45tajanesSteve_Lee