Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Aerial Acoustics 10" subwoofers

edited July 26 in Classifieds

I have four of these 8 ohm Aerial subwoofers built by Scan Speak. Pretty much identical looking to the XXLS from Peerless.

I will not ship these. Don't feel like figuring out how to package them up, and it would be cost prohibitive anyways.

I doubt they would work as an anchor for a 3-way even with the shorting ring.

I paid $600 for the quad, I am selling them for $150/pr. I can hand deliver at IowaDIY, or for a nominal fee I can deliver somewhere around me at some point, as well. Of course if you want to stop by and pick them up we can have a few beers and listen to some tunes.

I take PP only. My PP address is different than the address listed below.

Any questions you can contact me here via PM, posting on this thread, or email: jr@midwestaudioclub.com

Hate to see these go, but have been sitting on them for several years now and do not have space for additional powered subwoofers. A pair of these would be pretty awesome paired with the Dayton 500W class D DSP amp. 2 cubic feet tuned to 25Hz with a 20Hz high-pass will yield an F3 of 29Hz when a 80Hz low-pass filter is applied. Anechoic peak SPL would be around 113db centered at 53Hz. Corner loaded in a typical living room they would be monstrous. Figuring out how to add a 4" port though, would be fun. The 500W will drive them to their peak xmax. The highpass will protect them below 20Hz.

All in all, these model extremely well and at my asking price are an incredible bargain. I just need to start letting things go.

I have a signature.
Gowarjj45Steve_Lee

Comments

• edited July 27

Actually, they might work at the bottom of a 3 way- they already have good extension, and since they are 8 ohm drivers, when used in pairs- they will also have good sensitivity.

And since you’re selling 4- this is what I'd do with them if I bought them (if I lived closer)

Some doubts? Here's one I prepared earlier, using (off-the-shelf 12” XXLS, but same principle of dual 8-ohm woofers)

Do you have free air impedance trace? Log view or zoomed?

This is the only thing left, IME, that would be necessary for the buyer to determine how high these Aerial Acoustics woofers can be crossed over to the midrange.

GLWS!

Steve_Leerjj45
  • "GLWS!" = Good Looking Woofers, Sunshine!

• Pertinent data is contained in that link.

I have a signature.
  • VC inductance is over 3, as I said probably not much good as the anchor for a 3-way.

I have a signature.
  • edited July 27

I looked back at the inductance of my 12" XXLS- it's about half that.

Jr you may well be right. Though the impedance trace and frequency response suggest that an acoustic LR4 crossover
    @ 300Hz could be achieved.

Still, good luck with sale! At that price it's worth a shot IMHO.

edit: advice modified following jr's info on inductance

tajanes
  • The aerial drivers have a DCR of 7.16 - so maybe that explains why Inductance is approximately double the XXLS.

PWRRYD
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • edited July 31

Like above, would work to anchor a larger midbass that doesn't have deep bass grunt (pm180). But by that point is it a 3-way or bookshelf integrated into subwoofer? Semantics i suppose

• At that point, I think the copper required to cross that low gets ridiculous - not to mention the difficulty doing so.

I have a signature.
  • Well being 8 ohm, would make a nice pair of dual opposed subwoofers...