Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Adding mutiple drivers for sensitivity

2»

Comments

• @jr@mac said:
    The thing that I notice on low distortion bass is it seems lean at first, and you question the modeled extension. But then along comes a legit 30hz signal and you realize how much distortion most little drivers really exhibit. Up to about 90db my pair of GRS exhibit that phenomenon before distortion starts rising slightly. That is well outside of where I listen, and I think they are barely hitting 2-3mm of excursion at those levels.

That is what I have noticed. With really clean bass it sounds a bit weak, but when something that has good low bass in it comes along, you hear it like you never have before.

Wolf
  • edited August 28

THX spec is for 115db capacity at seating position so I understand handing off below 80hz. Possibly also due to larger theaters using more PA derived setups.. which would be able to hit the DB levels at the tens of feet out to listening positions, but be limited in extension.

I'm trying to not scratch the tower itch right now... All this multi-woofer talk is realy not helping. Still have 4x MCM 55-5670s and a couple plate amps burning a hole in my brain. Could try for next year's SDC unlimited category. Maybe that's how I'll try convincing the wife B)

Steve_LeeAnalogkid455
  • edited August 29

115dB is for the subwoofer (31.5 - 120Hz; +/- 3dB)

It’s just 105dB for the screen speaker channels
    (80Hz to 16KHz +/-3dB )

( at the listening positions )

Reference:
    https://acousticfrontiers.com/blogs/articles/thx-reference-level-explained#:~:text=What is 'THX Reference Level,in screening rooms and theaters).

https://professional.dolby.com/siteassets/cinema-products---documents/dolby-atmos-specifications.pdf

Analogkid455
  • edited August 30

@Analogkid455 said:

That is what I have noticed. With really clean bass it sounds a bit weak…

… only in comparison to a peak / drastic fall-off of many ported / PR ~BB4 designs, just to get a lower f3 measurement = 1 note bass.