Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Bose system

My coworker brought in a big Bose system and had listening fatigue in about 5 minutes. Sounds like a 12 db boost at 12k and a huge boost at 60 hz with the midbass cut out about 12 db. The distortion levels had to be 50% or more and compression was making it sound like mud and it was cutting out on big bass drops and even the mids and highs were distorting so bad that it sounded like static. Everybody got on me for saying it sounded like sh!t. Everyone thought it sounded great! Very strange. Thoughts?

Comments

• What was the "Big Bose System"?

• After listening to it all day, the bass notes sound like farts even after they turned it down shortly after I told them about the distortion that they didn't hear.
    The highs are unbearable even at 90 degrees off axis. Sibilance is off the charts!

• edited September 17

About 18 years ago my BIL bought one of those Bose home theater in a box systems. It used the same front LCR and rear LR ~4" cubes on fancy looking tubular stands. It also had what I'm guessing was an 8" sub driver in a bandpass enclosure. It was painful trying to watch Toy Story 2 or maybe 3 on that system.

Analogkid455
  • @PWRRYD said:
    About 18 years ago my BIL bought one of those Bose home theater in a box systems. It used the same front LCR and rear LR ~4" cubes on fancy looking tubular stands. It also had what I'm guessing was an 8" sub driver in a bandpass enclosure. It was painful trying to watch Toy Story 2 or maybe 3 on that system.

Yes, this one is painful, too! Lol!

• Honestly I think the stock speakers in his 40" Sony rear projection LCD tv had way better SQ minus the boomy and distorted bass lol

Analogkid455
  • You are probably right. Tv speakers have come a long way. But they still suck.

Wolf
  • I keep thinking those TV speaker drivers might make a good midrange in a compact 3 way monitor turned on its side . . .

Analogkid455
  • I think Madisound had a 'Recession Buster' kit years ago which used surplus Vifa full range drivers from TV sound bars, so at least those drivers would have been good quality.

I've never heard acceptable sound from any TV of any size.

Geoff

Analogkid455
  • A friend of mine had a Mitsubishi TV that had a big array of 3 inch speakers. It worked pretty good and could switch between stereo or center channel. As stereo it was OK as a center chanel it was great. It looked a little like this only bigger speakers:

6thplanetAnalogkid455GeoffMillar
  • Soundtouch 30. Has typical two 3" full rangers and a 5" bandpass subwoofer.

Analogkid455
  • edited September 18

I was wondering if it had tweeters or full rangers. The way it sounds, I thought maybe the mids were blown, lol!
    With as much distortion that 5" was putting out, I am surprised they didn't smoke that thing. I am guessing it has a limiter built in but can't believe they let it go that loud before kicking it in. Maybe the amps were clipping, idk. Sounded horrible.
    Definately had a bandpass sound to it. One note fart and the 3" drivers didn't go low enough to match up.

• I sort-of hate to say this, but many many moons ago at Epcot Ctr / Fla Disney they had a Bose 901 vs Apogee panel speaker room, and the 901s with their eq system had its moments.

Also, the Nautilus gym I used to go to (not that big of a room) had a pair of 901s, and for full room / background music they were nice.

Analogkid455
  • One of the local bars used to have 901s hanging from the ceiling - maybe about 12ft up. I was surprised how good they sounded. Doubt they ever really cranked them up, but for the intended purpose they were just fine.

Analogkid455tajanes
  • When you said a big Bose system, I thought you meant one of those column systems like the
    Bose L1 Pro16/32…

Those portable devices are designed for BGM tasks; a modern clock radio…

Analogkid455
  • I never worked on any of those 30's. Although I did work next to the cell that did. Never seen them replace the full range drivers, but definitely seen a few woofers being replaced.

As for the 901's, well it's definitely a "novelty" speaker. It's designed to have a "your at a concert hall" experience. It does that well. Creating that all around you experience. Also, they are capable of some decent volume. The EQ that's involved has some impressive boosts going on to get them sounding right.

Analogkid455
  • @tktran said:
    When you said a big Bose system, I thought you meant one of those column systems like the
    Bose L1 Pro16/32…

Those portable devices are designed for BGM tasks; a modern clock radio…

Yeah, I should have said big bluetooth speaker, lol!

• In Oz, we call them "FBRs" - F*** Big Radios"

Geoff

Analogkid455
  • I like how you just cut to the chase down under.

Analogkid455
  • For some reason, we think that everything/everyone needs an abbreviation or nick-name, however inappropriate.

For example, someone with red hair is called 'Bluey', Prime Minister Albanese is called 'Albo' and football becomes 'footy'. Cheap wine became 'plonk' and sausages became 'snags', no idea why or how that happened.

'FBR' is the only one I use with any frequency.

Geoff

Analogkid455