Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (5)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

inductor choice(s)

I've been playing around with building a 3.5way (it's very early in the game) and filtering the .5 woofer (4ohm) around 190Hz. The woofers I'd be working with do not come in 8ohm versions, as I'd prefer to biamp / crossover the woofers (in parallel netting 4ohms) with one channel (the .5 with an inductor) and the mid/tw coaxial (passive crossover) with the other channel. So, working with two 4ohm woofers, I'd be running the coax and .5 woofer off channel 1, and blend in actively the full woofer to cross/fill in with the coax. A bit confusing, but I don't see a way to have a .5 woofer rolloff in a series arrangement to net 8ohm load with these 4ohm woofers.

Anyway, while a 15AWG air coil would be top choice at $50+ each, if not what would be the better choice between; an 18AWG air coil, or a 15AWG solid core for the .5 woofer filter? Thx

Comments

• Has anyone ever tried the shaded woofers example in Xsim tools.

• last year at parts express SDC, or maybe two years ago Vance said that hybrid speakers were going to be the rage. But I am not convinced.

• For a x.5-way xover portion, you want low DCR to get the most BSC benefit. If you are not keen on getting full BSC and less is better, then an 18awg or 16awg air will likely be fine over the 15awg air. An 18awg laminate or 15awg laminate will also be fine at this circuit juncture.

Since you are actively running them on separate channels, just use a coil that handles the power required. The DCR won't actually matter.

• @Wolf said:
    For a x.5-way xover portion, you want low DCR to get the most BSC benefit. If you are not keen on getting full BSC and less is better, then an 18awg or 16awg air will likely be fine over the 15awg air. An 18awg laminate or 15awg laminate will also be fine at this circuit juncture.

Since you are actively running them on separate channels, just use a coil that handles the power required. The DCR won't actually matter.

Thanks, I'll focus on power handling.
    I made my question a lot more confusing than necessary. I should have just asked which inductor would be preferred for a .5 woofer filter; an 18awg air coil or a 15awg solid core?

• @Eggguy said:
    last year at parts express SDC, or maybe two years ago Vance said that hybrid speakers were going to be the rage. But I am not convinced.

I've been a fan for many years (Vance, and hybrid active/passive). It adds an additional tool in the toolbox with, IMO, a lot of flexibility and advantages. I.e. this current build I'm playing with wouldn't be possible (passive only) w/o dropping inductance towards 2ohms.