Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Roofing sheet/bitumen sheet

Am thinking of getting something like this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAF-Liberty-3-ft-x-66-ft-200-sq-ft-SBS-Self-Adhering-Base-Sheet-3733000/100087821

For sticking inside cabinets to provide a bit of mass and damping. The roofing material will then be covered by open cell mattress topper and stuffed with ultratech denim insulation.

Is this a good idea or will I be stuck with 200sq feet of really dumb idea. What other substance can be used?

Comments

• If that product is what I think it is, it should be fine. Should be similar to the "peel n seal" type of products, which in turn are largely what old school Dynamat is. It might outgas a little so application should take place a few days before plopping your drivers in the cabinet. 
    I have a signature.
  • It will work but it doesn't have a lot of mass to it. I usually add at least 2 layers to hear any audible difference with a knuckle rap test. It supposedly works better if you do it as a CLD between panels.
    Face
  • It's a one layer self adhesive shingle material. I used it on the inside of my RSR project, but sprayed the rattle can rubberized undercoating on the shingle side to keep the little gravely pieces from falling off. Worked great for the steel tube I used for the woofer enclosure on that project. I really don't see it as any gain on the inside of a 3/4" MDF cabinet. Now if your building a smaller box with say 1/4" walls it might be some assistance to damping something like that.
  • This is not the shingle material, but rather the underlayment. This comes in a roll and is flexible and is supposedly easy to cut. The shingle is a stiffer material, though i suppose made of similar material and is much stiffer to cut and needs a saw or something.

this is for the inside of a 3/4 mdf box.

For CLD, how do i attach to the non adhesive side. For the current project, it is not CLD, I am losing volume as is....
  • Also adding mass is not the requirement, i'd rather have it lighter if possible, but would like to reduce cabinet resonance....
  • ani_101 said:

For CLD, how do i attach to the non adhesive side. For the current project, it is not CLD, I am losing volume as is....
    contact cement.
    Face
  • NavyGuy said:
    It will work but it doesn't have a lot of mass to it. I usually add at least 2 layers to hear any audible difference with a knuckle rap test. It supposedly works better if you do it as a CLD between panels.

I agree.  For just lining the inside of a cabinet, I wouldn't bother. 

IMO, a thick coat of Acoust-X https://store.acrytech.com/Sound-Damping-Coatings/ will be more effective, and can be used to adhere denim insulation to the walls.

Is this a sealed or ported cabinet?

• Ported, and i do have half a gallon of acust X left over.... but getting the required thickness of 1-2mm deos take multiple applications, which is quite hard to do inside a box with bracing ,etc...
  • Just glob it on and protect the outside of the cabinet, shouldn't take more than 1 coat.  Also, unless you're looking to kill some low end, I would only line the walls with denim.
  • ok, sounds like a plan. I will hold off on the roofing sheet for a CLD build sometime.