Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Rival Acoustics R152-KJ

High end midwoofer, woven cone, bigass copper sleeve on motor, bigass motor in general. Good T/S for small vented with moderate extension - more of a cross between a pure midrange and a midwoofer rather than being optimally designed for one or the other. The F3 fanatics will probably shit themselves because it won't model to a F3 of 9Hz in a pop bottle sized enclosure - but that is their problem, not mine. 

Impedance curve shows a very powerful motor - Zmax is close to 120 ohms at Fs. Not bad at all. Minor inductance rise indicates the copper is doing its thang. Fairly smooth, as well, indication of a breakup centered around 5K, probably limits the "no compromise" crossover point to 2500 or so. 

T/S parameters (broken in by hand):

Loudspeaker parameters:

Fs  = 65.66 Hz
Re  = 6.22 ohms[dc]
Le  = 62.49 uH
L2  = 385.49 uH
R2  = 3.22 ohms
Qt  = 0.44
Qes = 0.46
Qms = 8.34
Mms = 13.05 grams
Rms = 0.645704 kg/s
Cms = 0.000450 m/N
Vas = 5.71 liters
Sd= 95.03 cm^2
Bl  = 8.501228 Tm
ETA = 0.34 %
Lp(2.83V/1m) = 88.45 dB

Added Mass Method:
Added mass = 25.00 grams
Diameter= 11.00 cm

Looks to be a nomex spider, not raised all that far but still servicable. Nice vent out backplate plus gobs of ventilation under spider and around voice coil. Should operate pretty efficiently under duress. 

Really, really, really good looking driver.

My guess is they are built at same build house as Wavecor, and are likely utilizing a lot of the core concepts used on the Wavecor stuff. This is a good thing. 

I have a signature.
JasonPS7910greywardenD1PP1Nsquamishdroc

Comments

• A Z peak that high, at that high of Fs may make the crossover a little tough. I could he wrong, you can definately see some serious Le control!
  • Straight up to the sky on the that sweep

• Computer/near field with sub speaker.......or midrange.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Looks good.
    I don't the pricing on their website.
  • They don't usually sell to DIY and on their website currently only one driver is listed as available.
    Nicholas_23
  •  Bummer, I thought this was going to be an MCM buy...
  • Lol me too Rich.
  • The speakers Curt brought to Dakota DIY had Rival woofers. The guy he was doing them for is the Canadian distributor for Rival. If you are interested in any of the drivers, send Curt an email and he can put you in touch with Leon.

HTh

Jim
  • Those are pretty sick drivers. Rumor is that they will be releasing a similar series in Feb or March.
    dcibelrjj45
  • Any more data / impressions on the 152?  I'm looking for a strong / clear midrange to mate with some Rival 176 carbon pulp woofers.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • No, I really never do any kind of testing in the winter months.
    I have a signature.
  • Thats a good looking driver!