Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Dayton Audio integrated amplifier products

So, a discussion over at the other place led me to an internal rant of sorts... Sometimes I wonder if Dayton Audio is simply deliberately straying off the beaten path with their electronics? Given all of the discussion on forums in the last five years about multi-channel amplification controlled via programmable DSP and the best they can do with all of that freebie market research is a plate amp with "800 watts", yet it is limited to six measly EQ presets (my factory radio in the 90's had that), and a really useless fixed crossover point of 3000hz? Really, Dayton? The low/high cut start their respective rolloffs at 1k, Wow. Maybe useful for simulating a rough baffle step/room gain correction, I suppose. The voice mode is the low-cut combined with a high-cut that rolls off above 4k rather than 1K. The music mode is essentially a teenagers smiley face. The bass amp section is rated at 1%THD at 1kHz, the treble amp section is rated at 0.1% at 8kHz so not sure how accurate the claimed 800 watts is. Does the mic input have phantom power? Can't assign the lineout to a specific line-in, either. Well, it has bluetooth, I guess. Personally, rather see that space on the board used for something meaningful, but the lack of a stereo line-level input means your sources are probably going to have to be bluetooth.

At a minimum this would need separate inputs for the treble and bass sections, selectable crossover frequency, and a few bands of PEQ to be considered useful outside of a very narrow set of applications. There are literally dozens of active monitors that offer all of the features of this amp, plus enclosure and drivers - many for not a lot more money than this standalone amp.

From the standpoint of a home audio enthusiast and a pro audio practitioner I have to give this product two thumbs down and a raspberry.
I have a signature.

Comments