Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Looking for information on a capacitor(s)

So I bought a couple mystery boxes from Meniscus, and scored big time on coils - not so good on caps, however. Not very many paired sets. Received a variety of single value caps, mostly generic NPE and polyester types, but also some nice old fashioned metal bodied types and four Eton branded, shiny gold ones (see pic).

Anyone sell these anymore? Values I have are: 22uf, 15uf, 3.3uf, and 1uf. All pretty standard sizes, so just wondering if any of ya'll has a hookup for these vintage caps.
I have a signature.

Best Answers

• Answer ✓
    They have coil variety packs? I could really use a bunch of coils.
  • Answer ✓
    Just go to their site, and browse the mystery boxes.
    I have a signature.
  • Answer ✓
    Oh I see it now. It's pretty temptimg. Did you get any duplicates?
  • Answer ✓
    Ton of duplicates on coils.
    I have a signature.
  • Answer ✓
    Thanks for the heads up on these.
  • Answer ✓
    Keep in mind, you might not get a lot of pairs of coils - but you will get a lot of coils, perfect for prototyping. Just the matched pairs I got, however, if I wanted to buy all new from PE for example, would cost me about $320 so the price is absolutely right in this regards.
    I have a signature.
  • Answer ✓
    Prototyping is what I need them for. :) I agree that for that purpose they are an exceptional value.
  • Answer ✓
    Well I ordered the last 2 coil mystery boxes and the finalists Center channel. If I don't finish this bed soon my wife is gonna punch me in the throat so I'll have to finish that before the center channel. I need to make 6 drawers and trim it out. Not sure what to do about the head board but I'll come up with something.
  • Answer ✓
    I just made it for one.
  • Answer ✓
    D1PP1N wrote: »
    Well I ordered the last 2 coil mystery boxes and the finalists Center channel. If I don't finish this bed soon my wife is gonna punch me in the throat so I'll have to finish that before the center channel. I need to make 6 drawers and trim it out. Not sure what to do about the head board but I'll come up with something.

I think you'll like the Finalist center. FWIW, it has been renamed to Anthology/Finalist center since it integrates well with either speaker.

Jim
  • Answer ✓
    Thanks Jim, I am looking forward to working on it. Do you suggest I sealed or vented enclosures? I have to front port them if I do but I have the room to do it. Also, i dont the have subs at the moment so I'm hoping it will help with that. 
  • Answer ✓
    The center was designed as a sealed cabinet to keep cabinet size down but at the expense of bass extension. F/3 sealed is in the mid 50's. It does great with mid bass but not low bass. If you can either make the cabinet wider and a little deeper (38"W x 17"D) you'll add enough cabinet volume to get into the low 30's ported. Front porting will be difficult.

HTH

Jim
  • Answer ✓
    D1PP1N said:
    Thanks Jim, I am looking forward to working on it. Do you suggest I sealed or vented enclosures? I have to front port them if I do but I have the room to do it. Also, i dont the have subs at the moment so I'm hoping it will help with that. 
    Hi Mike,

I forgot who I was talking to. You can adjust the center dimensions a lot without screwing up the crossover. If you want to go wider and shallower or taller, it'll all work. You can do some of your very pretty creative cabinet work and not sweat the impact. The bottom line is, to get to a vented F/3 in the low 30's, the RS225's need to see 70 liters net. The mid chamber is pretty large so that makes for a pretty good sized cabinet.

For my own use, I built the cabinet 40"W x 12 1/2"D x 11 1/2"T to match the dual 15" subs enclosure the center sits on. I had a couple of the original RS225's on the shelf that needed a larger cabinet to hit low 50's sealed. The newer RS225's require 35 liters each. To port the cabinet, it'd need to be around 5" deeper. Anyway you look at it, it's a big assed center. :-) It sure does sound good though. Curt did his usual superb crossover to bring it together.

Good luck with the build!

Jim
  • Answer ✓
    Sorry for the name change that was my original PETT name but that account got lost somehow so i changed it. I do have the newer woofers. My entertainment center is 59" long by 17.5" deep. Although it's kinda bowing with just my TV on it so I'm thinking it's going to need reinforcement for both lol. Personally what would you do? Do you think there is any real benefits to porting it? 
  • Answer ✓
    Hi Mike,

Honestly, for a DD surround sound system, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the bass below 50 Hz. from the center. Mid bass is really good with the RS225's. DD usually directs low bass signals to the mains and sub anyway. I run all my speakers full range and roll my subs in with an active crossover/Beringher EP4000 around 50-60 Hz. which seems to work really well.

You do need a sub(s) to do home theater right though. You might want to put that on your wish list. :)

Jim
  • Answer ✓
    S7910 said:
    Getting back to the original topic ...

Anyone have any idea what type of caps the silver things are? This was in my "assorted parts" mystery box.

Those are first generation Solen

Answers

• I had 2 rs12" HF versions and an inuke but my buddy wanted them really badly I got $850 for it all so I dumped them! In the future i will get some subs. The low end bass out of my towers is pretty damn good. I have a pair of 8" HF drivers right now too now that I think about it. I may need to move them upstairs at some point until I get something bigger.

Have you found 15" a good compromise between 12" and 18? I kinda wanted more when I had my 12's but not sure I want two 4cf 18" subs in my living room lol. 
  • I have Exodus Audio's NLA Tempest X2 subs. They're great. 26mm xmax and with a bit of equalization do low 20's in a 3 cube sealed cabinet. Too bad they're gone. The closest I've found for reasonable money are PE's Ultimax 15's. Not as much xmax but are a nice sub. To bad TC Sounds isn't around anymore. They built great subs.
  • 4cf isn't bad if you build them into end tables.
    D1PP1N said:

Have you found 15" a good compromise between 12" and 18? I kinda wanted more when I had my 12's but not sure I want two 4cf 18" subs in my living room lol.
  • Getting back to the original topic ...

Anyone have any idea what type of caps the silver things are? This was in my "assorted parts" mystery box.

• Old school caps is all I know - similar (I am guessing) to the metal bodied Sprague guitar players love to get their hands on.
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks, JR. I'll do some more digging in that direction and see what turns up.
  • How about a close up of the silver cap?  The symbol can sometimes give away the maker
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited September 2016
    That's an SCR capacitor, made in France.  I think that company also makes the Solen caps
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Thanks, John.