Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Live edge baffle anyone?

edited February 2018 in DIY
Saw this in the latest Lee Valley flyer, and of course thought "I could put speakers in that".

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43314,43217&p=76500&WT.mc_id=2790_9&WT.tsrc=Email

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
Tagged:

Comments

• No please, smooth baffles with roundovers and flush mounted drivers have enough diffraction issues as is.... but wow, look at this singing tree..

On a more serious note.... I like live edge, but have not worked with it yet. I am not sure how to clean and seal it. I would like to retain the bark, and that is the most difficult part. These would for small furniture - bench, coffee / side table etc. 
  • edited February 2018
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • You can get those live edge pieces at menards next to the hardwood dowels in the tools section. 
  • Rockler has a more exotic collection and larger pieces at a much higher prices
  • ani_101 said:
    No please, smooth baffles with roundovers and flush mounted drivers have enough diffraction issues as is.... but wow, look at this singing tree..

On a more serious note.... I like live edge, but have not worked with it yet. I am not sure how to clean and seal it. I would like to retain the bark, and that is the most difficult part. These would for small furniture - bench, coffee / side table etc. 
    You mean you don't say "look that that singing tree" when looking at most speakers? And diffraction, you can't be serious lol...

Most "Live Edge" wood I've seen is coated with tabletop epoxy. Thick coat of epoxy seals everything leaving a nice smooth and shiny surface.
  • dcibel said:
    You mean you don't say "look that that singing tree" when looking at most speakers? And diffraction, you can't be serious lol...

Wow dcibel, you obviously have very, very, low, self esteem.  And I am serious lol...

Why don't you just post constructive stuff instead of trying to act like a know it all? 
    dcibel
  • Speaking of posting something constructive...

Lighten up.
  • On the topic of baffles, I am renovating my basement over the next few weeks and picked up these "stair" boards that we are going to use as shelves. Nice acacai wood 1" thick, 10" wide by 40" long for CAD$25 per board. Found a Rona. Could look pretty nice with some speakers in them ;)

• A little late to the party but I made a set of speakers with live edge baffles on one side. I had taken measurements with a square baffle and the live edge ones and there really wasn't much in the way of difference between the two. I thought I had kept the files but I can't find them so you  will just have to believe me  :p