Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

High Efficiency Tweeter that can cross to a 8 inch mid

As the title says looking for a High Efficiency tweeter (with a good top end) that can cross to a 8" mid. Need 95+ efficiency. What I could identify:

Satori Neo (dimple dome or BE)
RAAL 140-15D (how low can this go?)
TL BE dome 
Mundorf big AMTs (e.g. AMT29 or 164) good horizontal dispersion, but very narrow vertical
Blisma T34 - very new and very interesting

Not listing the Beyma as it's top end droops off

Cost wise, it's only the Satori that has a decent performance and high sensitivity, everything else is uber expensive. The Mundorf's seems to have the most power handling and good blend of sensitivity and top end coverage, though the vertical is very tight.

Any inputs on how these sounds and if they can be crossed low (1800 would be ideal, can maybe push it up to 2k)?

Also open on the mid, 95+ db efficiency, need not play low, but should have good power handling, not set on 8", but this looked like the best compromise, 8 ohm is preferred which rules out 2x 6" mids. The top runner is the 8" AE mid, but not sure how long it will take to get it.

Comments

• edited February 2018
    Ani,

Tweeters are subject to Hoffman's Iron Law much as woofers are. To refresh, Hoffman says there is box size, LF extension, and sensitivity - pick any two of those three, the third will be a compromise, usually severely so. 

This unicorn tweeter you are chasing after probably does not exist, as you are no doubt discovering, virtually every tweeter that will legitimately play at 95db/w/m is limited on either the LF (hi-fi tweeters) or HF extension (PA tweeters). This is why horn loading compression drivers comes into play (basically making it 'bigger', if you will). Generally though, in order to match directivity of large midwoofers they sacrifice the top octave. However, you can easily get a horn loaded driver to hit a true 100db sensitivity level from, say 1K to 10K. 

There are some good resources out there on how to design what amounts to a PA speaker, Ani. I highly doubt you will hit your goals by shopping traditional "hi-fi" drivers and design concepts. 
    I have a signature.
  • That being said, the big Dayton AMT will play low - but at the cost of the top octave. It is easy enough to integrate a little super tweeter up top to fill it in, though. 
    I have a signature.
  • probably not what you are looking for but I'm doing a pro monitor with the PRV 8MR400 or 500 and the Selenium ST200
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited February 2018
    https://www.diysoundgroup.com/seos-8-tweeter.html

Plenty of flat face plate tweeters to choose from.

• The closest you'll find is likely the DX25 and it's variants. The sensitivity is almost there.

• My 2 prs of dx25 are a little lower in sensitivity than rated. Closer to 89 than the stated 91 fwiw
  • Your BG may be, but the TG59 is supposed to be higher.
  • Could be. A bunch of drivers have hit the shop this week (including pr of tg59s) that I have been asked to test for someone. If I remembr, I'll try to post any relevant data. 
  • Teachable moment - Sensitivity is in dB, efficiency is in %.

DE250 will meet your needs, as well as most other decent compression drivers. An lower cost option could be Tymphany DFM-2535R00-08.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • What about the hivi RT2C 
    Solen recently had these on sale at a decent price . Im not sure it has the dispersion youre looking for that the domes would have though.
  • The RT2C-A will play to about 2.2-2.3k, and it is REALLY sensitive, and REALLY LARGE.

• dcibel said: Teachable moment - Sensitivity is in dB, efficiency is in %. 
    Highly agreed!
  • The Wavecor TW030WA11 should work but it is only 93.5 dB..
  • If you're not set on a 8" mid, Dayton PM220 could be an option.

http://www.audioxpress.com/article/test-bench-dayton-audio-pm220-8-wideband-neodymium-8-woofer

• That is a great driver - if care is taken in the crossover I imagine. I believe Mr. Bruner did a "Revelator" mod to the 6.5" version at some point with excellent results that addressed the linear distortion issues on the top end. 
    I have a signature.
  • Isn't the PM220 a 8" driver too? What would be the highest acceptable XO point for it?
  • Wolf said:

The RT2C-A will play to about 2.2-2.3k, and it is REALLY sensitive, and REALLY LARGE.

It is big , might look neat with the 8 woofer 
  • I like loaded, fat looking baffles .
  • Several RT2 variants on sale at Solen 
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • ani_101 said:
    Isn't the PM220 a 8" driver too? What would be the highest acceptable XO point for it?
    Yeah, it sounded like you hadn't settled on one, hence the suggestion. The link I provided above includes all the info you need to decide whether it is suitable for your project.
  • speaking of midrange options, @R-Carpenter did you get the sonido drivers and give them a spin? 
  • I didn't. They only take bank transfers. Was too busy at the time and din't bother.