Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

In light of sensitivity learning.....which?

edited March 2018 in DIY
So on PETT I asked some questions about sensitivity and comb filtering and learned a fair amount.  I have two ideas in mind and want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I go and make a decision.

I have equivalent prices for parts, so budget isn't a question.  

My latest BT radio idea is a party boombox.  SPL is foremost the consideration.  Box size next.  I'm aiming to have full range coverage (within about 3m), and obviously fidelity is near the end of the list of concerns (without sounding like a stick against a garbage can).  Will be a 2.1 setup.  

The .1 will be the sb20 4 ohm woofer and the amp is a 2.1 amp off amazon with BT built in.  I'll be making a battery pack with voltage of at least 14V, more like 19-22V.  

So....All this to get to this.....

The two setups I'm considering for L-R are a single PRV 6MR500 or three Faital 3fe22 16R in a large radius curved array.  Again, not tooooooo concerned about fidelity, and was hoping to be able to go without too in depth of a crossover on the array if I could (the PRV I was going to run wide open full range).

Is there anything else I need to consider in the sensitivity department I am missing other than the obvious SPL characteristics?  Seeing my  desires for the system, which would you lean toward?  I'm not concerned about the building, that's the easier part for me.  And which ever I choose will be operating from 150-200 on up, so no bass per say.  

I would just roll with the project and not worry about it if the cost wasn't so high but would like to best prepare at the price I'll be spending. 

Thanks guys, I really value your opinions.

Forgot to mention, PRV has sensitivity of 96db, the three Faital supposedly around 97.5.

Comments

• If you go by the published SPL specs, your numbers look right, but those are rarely accurate.  The T/S parms show sensitivity of about 95dB for the PRV and 92-93dB for the parallel triplet of 3fe22.  These numbers at 2.83V input.  

Dan
  • Have you considers some 8 inchers? 8FE200, 8MR500, PA200?
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • edited March 2018
    Thanks Dan!  It does make it a touch easier using one driver....

John, I was planning on just using a full range, no tweeter unless you think an 8 could do it or think I should go tweeter.....

Also, trying to keep overall enclosure size to under 1.25 cubes.....
  • Another decent option is the 4" Tymphany TC10FG00-04.  It is a 4 ohm driver with a legit 92dB sensitivity @ 2.83V.  4 of them in series/parallel get you up to 98dB and they are only $15/ea.  Been wanting to try something like this myself.

Dan
    joeybutts
  • I'd still use a super/ bullet tweeter or piezo with the 8 incher.  I like the Selenium ST200 with the 8FE200 in 10 liters.  This is the PA lite project I'm working on

joeybutts
  • why are you looking at 3.5k XO point john? wouldn't directivity be severely limited to a very narrow range in front of the speaker?
  • edited March 2018
    Depending on how you calculate I'm down 6 to 10 db at 30 degrees. 60 degree spread is fine for a PA speaker.  The tweeter also has a narrowing response, so I don't expect a huge miss match.
  • Thanks guys!  Only issue is all of those ideas go beyond my size limits I wanted to keep.  Unless you think some of those 8's would work in .1 cubes to get me 150-200 and up.....  That TF0818 looks close......

Whaddya think of that?  the TF0818... with what tweeter though?
  • bah.... it's an 8 ohm.....