Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Any interest in a group buy for Airborne AMT?

2»

Comments

• good news.

But is he also talking about woofers with 50mm voice coils?

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • That's because one of the guys on the other forums asked for one of their 8" woofer speakers, so it seems like they updated their design, perhaps.
  • They came through!  They just sent me an email with the mighty bill!!  Holy schnikes!!!! details tomorrow since I'm a little buzzed right now (on vacation).
  • Guys & Gals,

Here is what I have "available" for pre-shipment order pricing, if you like:

Those costs are for the tweeters themselves, plus international shipping costs and any possible customs fees that might get tacked on to me, plus USA shipping from me to you.  I expect to send them payment on August 1st, and shipping is likely to take 6-8 weeks like last time.  So possibly October '18 delivery date.   From these items listed above, any that do not pre-sell, I will eventually sell them myself (since I would have to pay for them with my own cash) on the various audio forums, but at a cost mark-up.  You guys get get first dibs on awesome tweeters basically.  

Here is the link again to the Hygeia catalog:

Hygeia Catalog 

Let's get this party started!

• I don't see an RT-2005 anywhere in the catalog. What is that?
  • The RT-2005/51 is basically the RT-2002, with the 5 being the addition of round faceplate to the actual tweeter body, and the 51 being the round faceplate with the machined aluminum 45° bevel option.
  • So, hypothetically, if I were to want a pair of 4001;

I would only pay $48 out of my own pocket? Would you take a check if this is the case?

• edited July 2018
    Nope, LOL.  Those are raw unit costs.  As I mentioned before:

"Those costs are for the tweeters themselves, plus international shipping costs plus any possible customs fees that might get tacked on to me, plus USA shipping from me to you."

You'd have to pay a portion of the International shipping costs, any applicable US customs fees (which I hope I don't get hit with too much or at all), plus shipping from me to you.  In no way shape or form are those prices I listed "shipped to you".

A pair of 4001's would be about ~$62 for the tweeters if I include you paying a portion of the international shipping, plus US Customs fees if any, plus US shipping from me to you.  A pair of 4001s would fit in a small-flat rate box which is what, like $8 now a days?  The only unknown really is if customs wants to hit me with a bill, then I unfortunately have to pass that on to who ever wants to pre-order.

So basically
    $62 + (unknown customs fee) + $8 = Your total cost for a pair of 4001's, when going in before I wire the money to them.  If the customs fee comes out to $0 which I'm hoping, then your grand total in the end would be $70 for the pair.  I don't have any connections in US Customs so unless you do, I'm at their mercy.

It's still cheaper than a pair of Dayton AMT2-4 (roughly the equivalent) @ $120 a pair.  

Also, I can still sell you a pair at a later date but at a cost mark-up of my liking, since I would have used my own money to pay for this order, and I'm not in the business of lending money for nothing as I'm sure you're not either, LOL.  Obviously they would be cheaper than $120 since that's what the Dayton equivalents go for.
  • That's what I thought. I misunderstood how you worded that. I read it as though you added all of those variables together to get your stated chart numbers.

No thanks.

• I'll take a pair of RT4001.
  • S7910 said:
    I'll take a pair of RT4001.
    You did read the whole thread, right?  I don't want any misunderstandings. :)
  • OscarJr said:
    S7910 said:
    I'll take a pair of RT4001.
    You did read the whole thread, right?  I don't want any misunderstandings. :)
    Yep.
  • edited July 2018
    Updated quantities available for pre-order as if 7/15/18:

Prices are not "shipped".  All shipping/fees extra.
  • Amazing how well their English turned out when asking about money! LOL!    =)   I have received funds from two people, pending two others, but I'm gonna go ahead and wire the money tomorrow to get them off my back, lol.

rjj45
  • Payment for this order is sent.  Now we simply wait for the slow boat across the pacific and customs clearance.
  • OscarJr said:
    Payment for this order is sent.  Now we simply wait for the slow boat across the pacific and customs clearance.
    And for the people to forget that they can speak English

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I know man, it's freakin hilarious.  

• Hello, my name is Oscar, and welcome to the AMT-Ribbon SuperMega Store.  May I take your order?   =) ;)

rjj45dcibelS7910
  • Get them while they're hot!   Plenty of additional diaphragms also available for first-come'ers who buy AMT's (or the horn-loaded RT-62041 planar-magnetic)!

jhollanderD1PP1N
  • One more chance to get in on a group buy!   Negotiating pricing right now for RT-4001-L (w/ machined aluminum bevel), stock RT-5002 (all black faceplate), RT-50021 (w/ machined aluminum bevel), along with extra diaphragm production.  Tentative production is requested for Aug-Sept of this year.
  • Any hints on how to measure the RT-4001?

How does measuring it differ than measuring a dome tweeter?

• There’s no secret to measure this or any AMT. Since vertical and horizontal dimensions differ, vertical and horizontal off-axis must be measured separately. Other than that treat it like any other driver .

rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Not sure I'd run full spectrum impulse sweeps on any ribbon style tweeter. You have to use a cap on true ribbons or risk amplifier meltdown. I would use a 25-40 uF cap on most any of these for protection. Nature of these beasts.

• I agree with Ben on using a cap. I think 40uf or even a little higher would be fine. These AMTs seem to be fairly robust. I made a wiring error when connecting the breadboard crossover on my SB/Airborne speaker. Playing music at very low level, maybe 1/4 watt, I mistakenly sent the LP signal to one of the 5002s. Thankfully, no damage that I can hear or see in the final response graphs.

• The RT-4001 is a purely resistive 3.6 ohms and is rated at 20 watts. With 89db sensitivity I wouldn't worry about a cap. I've tested every planar I've ever used without one. Ribbons are another story. The Fountek CD 1.0 has a DCR of .02 ohms.

Ron

dcibelrjj45
  • AMTs are not ribbons, More like folded planar. Not transformer coupled and not delicate. If you’re not prone to doing silly things like plugging RCA cables live or testing at 90+dB, or your amp makes big thumps when you turn it on, by all means use a cap. I’ve yet to use one for any AMT or domes for that matter for frequency response. For distortion testing at higher SPL, 2nd order filter or limit frequency range of test is my recommendation.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.