Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Unboxing - Lanzar Optidrive 1032D

So I went and picked them up from the UPS store this morning, they arrived in two packages - factory packaging as a matter of fact, so glad they did not leave them on my deck. Not sure most people are aware of any brand but Kicker, RF, and Orion if my membership in various Facebook car audio groups is any indication but better safe than sorry. 

So they weigh around 10kg each, and inside the cardboard case this is to be found:

The "lock" is pre-set to 000 but is relative moot as the screws holding it to the vinyl laminated particle board shipping box are all readily accessible. Looks cute and probably impresses the kids - but as far as security goes, good only for a chuckle. 

Opening it reveals a styro insert, a package of literature, and the driver hiding away:

I wonder how many kids cut a hole in the shipping box, taped it tight, and put it in the back of their Cavaliers? The driver is very well protected from damage, the top styro is a good 20MM proud of the driver, and the bottom is actually sculpted to the shape of the driver basket/motor:

It is cradled fairly tightly there, and there is a bit of compression against the top insert sandwiching all the goodies quite well. Immobilization is the name of the game shipping these kinds of things and Lanzar has their shit together on these. 

The driver from the top:

Some powder on the surround, but the cone is a perfect match for the components and coaxials I have. That is the primary reason I bought these. Well, that and the ass on these - a ton of venting under the black spider, very heavy frame, stitched in tinsels.

Shot of the tinsels. Look like 14awg, some torque lock on the little nuts, fully stitched tinsels, etc. If I were a modding kind of guy, I could easily install different binding posts. 

About the best view through the screen at the ~13MM of visible coil overhang, and some additional venting on the former:

View from the backside showing the vented backplate. I like the grills covering most of the venting - a lot of these are probably installed face-down ass-up, I hear that is a thing these days. The grills will help keep bad shit out of the motor. Personally, I don't like the looks of drivers mounted like that but to each their own. 

Overall, pretty impressive looking and feeling driver. The cone may not be to everyones taste - but it is attractive enough for me. It is a parabolic cone, the surround is a very stiff, over-sized rubber, there is a rubber gasket standing approximately 3mm proud of the frame (a concession to the face-down ass-up crowd I am sure), plenty of room for mounting screws, etc.

Tapping on the cone does not give a deep "thump", and the compliance must be incredibly low as it is very, very difficult to move the cone by hand. I doubt I will be able to get meaningful small signal parameters from this thing. Probably best to throw it in a cubic foot and experiment with some EQ. 

I have wanted a pair of these since I saw them come out, what? A decade ago now? I am fairly certain there are better drivers out there but you cannot put a price on acquiring something you have wanted for a long time. At the $150 I paid for the pair, though, I believe them to be well worth the money. 
I have a signature.
jhollanderPWRRYDGowasquamishdroc

Comments

• The 5-1/4" midbass from the component set:

I have a signature.
  • :) :) :) Nice,
    I felt the same way back when I first read about the SoundStream Reference subs. Took me several years to aquire one. And yes still have it.  
    jr@macPWRRYD
  • Question - I have a sub which make DATs throw up. How do i get the T/S specs in this case? I have not been able to model the sub.... but there is nothing wrong with it, plays sounds and all....
  • I am going to experiment with large signal. Not sure yet how I will do that, though. 
    Nicholas_23
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    I am going to experiment with large signal. Not sure yet how I will do that, though. 
    Why am I having flashbacks of a sundown sub and a plate amp? :/
    jr@mac
  • Poof lol, that poor amp!
    I have a signature.
  • Nice looking sub!  Pretty good price also.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I use to run Soundstream ref 10's until some A hole decided they deserved them more than me, busted window and all :(
  • I look at subs like JR just got and realize how far things have moved forward since my old car audio daze!  Those Soundstream Reference subs were the shit at the time, but they didn't have any of this awesome new tech like raised spiders and such.
  • What are you going to power all th is awesomeness with?
  • I still have my EXACT10 pair... Monsters....
  • Not sure Chuck, not sure where they are even going! Been half-assed shopping for a five channel amp. 
    I have a signature.
  • While a 5 channel amp keeps things nice and tidy, monster subs like those deserve they're own power.
    Always like how SS called the Ref. subs the "velvet hammers"
  • Yeah, it warrants a big mono block - but not sure I am willing to go to that length for a car install. Don't even really have a car I want to do that to lol.
    I have a signature.
  • There quite a few mono blocks that are crazy small and make legit power. NVX is one on particular.
  • ani_101 said:
    Question - I have a sub which make DATs throw up. How do i get the T/S specs in this case? I have not been able to model the sub.... but there is nothing wrong with it, plays sounds and all....

Define "Dats throws up".

Ron

• Sweet score JR! Are they new old stock subs?
  • They are new, but I think Lanzar is still manufacturing them. The product line is getting a little long in the tooth for the typical car audio crowd, though. 
    I have a signature.