Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Dayton TCP115-4 woofers

Comments

•   Hmmm?  That could be a very interesting and cheap and narrow tower.  I had to pad the dickens out of the tweeters, so yeah they could easily keep up with 4 of those woofers.
    kennyk
  • D1PP1N said:
    Whats your thoughts on doing 4 woofers per cabinet? Worth it or not?  
    The total displacement of 4 TCPs is 7% greater than a single RS180-4, which is $4 more. You'll also gain sensitivity from the series/parallel config with the TCPs- coming in at about 3.5dB more than the RS180. The RS180 will play much lower, but it needs a much bigger box to do it. 

Tradeoffs....
  • Almost forgot - Craig, those baffles are amazing!!
  • Thanks Tom.  That poplar was very easy to work with.
  • I see these as the foundation of a new 3-way.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • After using them in our living room for the last week or so, in a 2.1 system, watching some Star Wars movies, I'd say they would make some very affordable, very kick ass 5.1 speakers.  I want to take some horizontal off axis measurements of one of them laying on its side like a center channel.  I suspect it will be pretty good out to almost 45 deg since the woofers' ctc spacing is pretty tight.  The only downside I foresee is that they are rear ported so they can't be mounted right on the wall.  I should plug the ports with some socks and see how they sound sealed with a sub.
  • kennyk said:
    I see these as the foundation of a new 3-way.
    Yeah maybe.  I'd probably stick them on top of a SD215A-88 driver.  Some basic 1 cubic foot ported bass bins.  Overall driver cost would be stupid cheap.  Passive crossover components might end up costing almost as much though.
  • Can you use a sub amp for the woofers and keep the top passive? 
  • Heads up, the Dayton ND25FW tweeter is part of the Flash Sale this weekend for only $10 each.  
    D1PP1N
  • Anybody got measurements of the ND25FW???
  • Of course I do.  I have them on this narrow 6" wide baffle as well as the 9" wide baffle of the Industrials.
  • Here is a link to my infinite baffle measurements:

http://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/comment/2898#Comment_2898

• Those are some  very nice graphs. The peerless BC something is also on sale for 10$. Any comparison with those? There are a lot of very nice $10 tweeters on sale.....
  • Yes, the BC25SC06-04 is on sale too for $10.  It's a nice sounding tweeter and the small flange is handy for small desktop speakers.  I don't know if you were there and heard it but that is the tweeter I used in my tall tower WWMTMWW I brought to Iowa a couple years ago.  I would honestly say the tweeters were the weak link in that project.  I wouldn't try to cross them any lower than 3000 Hz, that's where I had them crossed.  The Dayton can cross at about 2000 LR4.
  • ok, thanks. Yes I do remember the tall speakers you bought to Chicago and then to Iowa with the dayton RS150 or something.... 
  • Woofers were RS180S-8, mids were the buyout Audax / Max Fidelity 5.25", and BC25SC tweets.
  • The sounded very dynamic with all those woofers. 
  • Yeah I liked them a lot.  They were just a little too big for our house Lol.
  • I picked up several of the Daytons - I really like how they sound.
    I have a signature.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Yes, the BC25SC06-04 is on sale too for $10.  It's a nice sounding tweeter and the small flange is handy for small desktop speakers.  I don't know if you were there and heard it but that is the tweeter I used in my tall tower WWMTMWW I brought to Iowa a couple years ago.  I would honestly say the tweeters were the weak link in that project.  I wouldn't try to cross them any lower than 3000 Hz, that's where I had them crossed.  The Dayton can cross at about 2000 LR4.

I have those BC25 tweeters in a small 2-way with a Peerless 830656 crossed right around 2K. Yeah, they sure won't win any SPL contests or be confused for expensive tweeters. I'm sure they would get a little harsh once the volume gets to certain point. But they sound pretty decent as desktop near-field monitors. Those speakers are in a few of the DakotaDIY photos - they are the ugly, half painted ones. 

I'm finishing up my TCP115 experiment this weekend and using them there too. I'll admit, crossed at 2.8K, they do sound better. Much smoother. Now I just need to cut some wood again - my boxes are too small now that I added the ports instead of the using the ND140 PRs.  
  • Pictures or it didn't happen  :p
  • I'm getting closer  - main inductor was too big and making it them sound too thick. 
    jr@mac
  • I chuckled when I saw the terminals used as connectors.  Once I got so desperate for connectors that I used paper clips.  Hey, it worked.
  • Oh Marty....   :#
  • What are the external dimension Tom?
  • 8 x 6.5 x 6 - .5" mdf. I've never built anything this small. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from these woofers and trying to get too much low end out of them.
  • Craig, two questions on that 90 degree port...(1) What did you use to attach the two pieces? I'm thinking PVC cement would be good but Gorilla glue would be better if it works because I have a huge bottle (2) what did you do to flare the internal edge? Router, file, sandpaper?
  • I think Craig may be off-line right now tending to family matters. But FWIW, I've used basic Oatey primer & cement in the past to make an elbow with 45's. I was surprised it took a while to cure on a butt joint like that, but it was solid after a few hours. 
  • Like Tom mentioned, be sure and use primer, it softens the materiel so the glue can hold.