Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Teen music then and now

The kid listens to RAP , whatever , but he also likes to do music trivia on youtube with me and the Mrs from the late 80's and 90's . I was raised on 50's , 60's and early 70's music as the old man usually bought cars of that era with AM radio . I remember heading out to the hills in a 67 vette with me and the two sissies in the back and looking at the am radio that was vertical in the front lower dash . The side pipes sucked ass due to the heat. Long story short , what did you guys listen to growing up ? 
This was pretty cool in middle school if you drove and listened to vanilla ice and this... with a bumpin stereo . 

Comments

• I listen to a very wide variety, but as a teen I listened to a lot of electronica, at least a whole lot more than I do now. That would be Fatboy Slim, Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Underworld, Unkle, and plenty of more obscure artists that I won't list because most won't recognize. Some of it I think is awful today and don't know what I was thinking, and some is really very good that I still listen to. This stuff really showed off the capabilities of your sweet subs, which was important as a teen. I had a 12" Phoenix Gold in my 1988 Mazda 626, and at home I had an Ascendant Audio Atlas which I do miss, it was a great sub.
    greywarden
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Mom/Dad listened mostly to WOWO or soft-rock until I was about 10 or so, and then mom switched to country. Those were the mainstays, but a lot of other stuff was played as well. Classical stuff, etc, so I had a very well rounded musical upbringing. About 1993, when I was a sophomore in HS, I bought my first boombox, a Sanyo MCD-Z65, and started my own music collection. I started with some of the current pop and country, but then found things like Collective Soul, Tonic, and dug into the local Christian Rock station WQKO out of Howe, IN (followed by it's closing down and piping in The Effect out of Twin Falls, ID through Bronson, MI), and The Edge 96.3, rooting my tastes heavily into the current alternative, modern rock, industrial, grunge, rock, hardcore, and metal. After High School and during college, I got a job on the weekend at the local Christian Bookstore in the music department, due to my knowledge of the scene, listening to The Effect, and the reading of the magazines related to it. That was my spending money as it was my second job, and my collection exploded. I really favored the out of print, lesser, or independent stuff then, as that is where a lot of the industrial stuff I liked was located. I don't use fowl language, and don't prefer it be in my music if possible, so a lot of my heavy music at the time was Christian based. It's just my preference. There are many more words to use of our extensive vocabulary, and that's where Circle Of Dust and Meshuggah came into play. They used all of those other words, and I liked the vocab usage. I, as dcibel did, also liked the bass from the industrial stuff- it SLAMMED without being rap, and got low too, without being just one note. I had Soundstream EXACT10s at the time, and they are still in their boxes awaiting the next install. I still crank Klank, Circle of Dust, Meshuggah, and others regularly- so I haven't grown out of it. I still listen to a wide variety from Vivaldi to Crimson Moonlight, and almost everything in between.

(This is not discussing religion, or 'Bible thumping', just stating the facts.)

• House music was big in grammer school and so was hip hop (dr dre, beastie boys, 2live crew, Too $hort, snoop etc) i was big into punk into high school (Nofx, bad religion, lag wagon, strung out, pennywise, (any thing from dirtbike movies and tony hawk games) most of the music from Fat wreck chords labels). 
  • We grew up with Celtic and Bluegrass mostly, until my brother discovered Black Sabbath. While my musical taste is very eclectic, except RAP, I like acoustic music allot, especially female voices.
  • I grew up listening to "alternative" and rock most of my childhood, first tape I ever bought was Alice in Chains, Heaven Beside You was my favorite song. Then the family started going to church and started listening to bands like DC talk and P.O.D. Like Mike, electronic music was starting to get big and I started listening to a lot of DnB and Trance and Manson, NIN, and the like. Nowadays it's mostly rock on the radio, when I'm at home it's Synth/Vaporwave and Downtempo, maybe some easy listening if I'm trying to relax. 

Oh yeah went on a nostalgia trip (One of my favorite songs for a while....) and found this absolutely genre destroying electronic-reggaeton-nu metal thing going on (it's baaaad)

deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • I don't listen to DC Talk much anymore, but POD was/is good both live and on disc. Hey- I even setup for one of their shows before they got big on the Warriors EP tour. That was a GREAT show! Blindside and Project86 were the other 2 acts.
    greywarden
  • Wait- you don't like Earthsuit? They were incredible when live!! However, the album was washed out without dynamics. They only had one album, but was definitely a genre-bender. Was out in 2000 when I worked at the store, and I saw them at C-Stone that year. The singer does not play guitar, but decided to 'emotionalize' one on stage. Basically he hit it with a lot of feedback, twisting the pegs, culminating in a raging smasher on the stage floor.
    greywarden