Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Another couple eeeeenteresting MCM offerings...

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-160-160304M01-1-/55-5665

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-200-160305M01    -/55-5670

$35 and $40 respectively. 

I want some. They advertise 7.5mm Xmax - if that is as true as other drivers that claim such a long throw, it means this could be a serious Dayton Reference killer. Doesn't have the dumb phase plug, either. Looks sexy as hell, to boot. 
I have a signature.

Comments

• Wish the VAS was smaller on the 8".
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Be on the watch for a 4" soon too.
  • Quick sim from my phone. The 6.5 looks good in .5 cubes, fb of 45ish. The 8 likes 1 cube at about 40. Might be grabbing 4 of those 8s.
  • isaeagle4031 said:
    Quick sim from my phone. The 6.5 looks good in .5 cubes, fb of 45ish. The 8 likes 1 cube at about 40. Might be grabbing 4 of those 8s.
    What are you using to sim on your phone?
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • isaeagle4031 said:
    Quick sim from my phone. The 6.5 looks good in .5 cubes, fb of 45ish. The 8 likes 1 cube at about 40. Might be grabbing 4 of those 8s.
    What are you using to sim on your phone?
    One is "Speaker designer" Runs about $3 I think. The other is "Box Tune Calculator" and it's free. Basic, but handy for getting a general idea.
    greywarden
  • edited August 2016
    jr@mac said:
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-160-160304M01-1-/55-5665

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MCM-AUDIO-SELECT-200-160305M01    -/55-5670

$35 and $40 respectively. 

I want some. They advertise 7.5mm Xmax - if that is as true as other drivers that claim such a long throw, it means this could be a serious Dayton Reference killer. Doesn't have the dumb phase plug, either. Looks sexy as hell, to boot. 
    FWIW, just looking at the pictures and specs, they remind me a lot of the RS"P" series drivers from PE. Of the PE drivers with the paper cone I've heard so far I haven't found a compelling reason to save $10 and use one of them instead of a similar driver from SB acoustics. Just my thoughts...

MCM is cheaper though so it might be a good alternative for a low budget build

Jim
  • That is who they are competing directly with Jim. And the mid level offerings from SB. They sent me preliminary data on this line of drivers and revamped some things based on the initial specs. The pricing is phenomenal.
    They will also have some new drivers coming from Audible Physics. I've tested all of the Ram series drivers from them and they are very nice, though pricey. I will be using their Ram2.6 set in my Jeep. 
  • Data sheets are up for that line up, it appears. Until I hold one in my hand, take some measurements I won't be sure but they sure look good on paper. Indeedy they do. 

Initially, I was skeptical of the 7.5mm Xmax claim (I thought maybe they meant P-P), but the winding length is 21mm and the gap is 6mm on the 6.5" and 8" sooo... Very nice looking driver, and the 8" are high on my list of "to try". 
    I have a signature.
  • And pdfs are up with freq response and imp data. 
  • Wow, those are nice looking.  MCM is not fucking around!
  • Don't seem to want to dig very deep, though, based on my sims using the specs on MCMs page. 
  • No they aren't Paul. And you are right, they don't dig really deep. 
  • The 8" seems to like 28 liters, might be the driver going into my knockdown towers build as the bottom of a three-way.

28 liters, walls covered, tuned to 40 hz and 50 watts.
    kennyk
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I take back my "VAS" remark.
  • Right now im thinking tmww towers with the 5" and twin8s. Then i think my favorite peerless tweeter. Less than $150 per drivers.

• I see some buzz over at the shit box forum about these - thought I better pop in that thread and remind people not to immediately lump these in with shit like Silver Flute. That irritates me. That place irritates me. 
    I have a signature.
  • The 3" might be a line array candidate.
  • If the 5670 really has as low a qts as the spec sheet says, it will also like a bigger vented box for more extension.  50 liters tuned to about 35-37 Hz looks pretty good.  The 5665 looks nice and smooth up top and, if true to spec sheet, is pretty usable sealed as well as vented in about 20L.  There are a number of good 6-7" woofers that are reasonably priced and that are good performers, but the 5670 at $40 is a game changer if it is anywhere near as good as it looks like it is.  
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • The 5670 looks damn sexy, might have to pick up a pair. Any idea of the possibility of a 12" version?
  • Not at this time. I have talked to them about 4 ohm versions though of the current lineup.
  • No plans on a 12" version quite yet, but if we do well enough with these, we may expand into larger sizes.