Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

More new tweeters

Lots of new tweeters released lately. I hadn't seen anyone mention the 21mm SB tweeters at Madisound. The ring radiator looks promising. Kind of a shame they went a 92mm diameter faceplates. 

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/soft-dome-tweeters-sb-acoustics/sb-acoustics-sb21rdc-c000-4-ring-dome-tweeter/
http://https//www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/soft-dome-tweeters-sb-acoustics/sb-acoustics-sb21sdc-c000-4-dome-tweeter/

Comments

• edited May 2018
    Here's another one that caught my eye Tom.

According to the specs, it has copper in the motor, low FS, good off axis response and a low price. Has anyone seen measurements for these?

Jim

• Strange looking faceplate.
  • Gowa said:
    Strange looking faceplate.
    Agreed. SB Acoustics facecplates always interest me. I'm not sure why they choose the shapes they do. I wonder how much thought and engineering go into that aspect of design.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • That's one I meant to link to - but...I pasted the same one twice. Senior moment?

If it wasn't for that 92mm diameter, I would order a pair. But that would mean making new baffles on Saturday instead of painting the ones I need to finish up for DakotaDIY.

jholtz said:
    Here's another one that caught my eye Tom.

According to the specs, it has copper in the motor, low FS, good off axis response and a low price. Has anyone seen measurements for these?

Jim

• I'm always concerned about SQ in cheap tweeters like these. I wonder how they would stack up against the Wavecor TW022WA06.
  • Gowa said:
    I'm always concerned about SQ in cheap tweeters like these. I wonder how they would stack up against the Wavecor TW022WA06.
    There are a lot of really nice tweeters in the $35 - $60 range. I prefer 3/4" domes with excellent off axis response with flat response out to 20K and of course, low distortion. ;)

The Seas 22TFF Curt and I used in the Anthology's meets that criteria and sounds excellent for a dome. I suspect SB can offer at least the equal for the same money.

I would like to see real world measurements.

Jim
  • Gowa said:
    I'm always concerned about SQ in cheap tweeters like these. I wonder how they would stack up against the Wavecor TW022WA06.
    My opinion is that the sound quality of the newer inexpensive dome tweeters is pretty good.  The SB19, ND25, and DX20, sound good when crossed up high.  I feel the next price point gets you to cross lower but not necessarily better sound quality.  After you get over the $100 range is where I start to notice some improvements. 

These small tweeters force you to use better mids, so that could be helping to form my opinion as well

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails