Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

MCM 55-2669

So, everyone knows what a fan I am of this driver - what some may not know is exactly why I enjoy it so much. Well, I have five samples here, and if I recall correctly, I purchased at least two of them six months after the others. I used to have more, but they went bye-bye. One I dropped, and I dissected it. Two went with a T/M I helped a buddy design. So that leaves me with five. It should be noted that sample 2 has a wrinkle in the aluminum cone. 

In addition to a very linear response across the pass band, they exhibit some remarkable resistance to going to pieces when tasked with high excursions. All in all, hard to beat for under $20, and will hang with some costing 2x as much - if not more. Don't kill this model, MCM. 

Not sure how useful the following two measurements are, still trying to figure out a way to measure Lex at my desk...

So take those with a huge grain of salt, preferably many grains of salt as found around the rim of a margarita glass.

Here is a 1M, SPL accurate distortion measurement I took of one a few years ago. This was in my black box entry, the dimensions of which I no longer recall and really don't care to hunt down, to be honest. Consider it a typical DIY level cabinet in size and construction.

So, hope this explains why I often nominate this driver when people are looking for a good midwoofer at a stupidly competitive price. Cross it below 2500 for exceptional performance and deal with the oddball frame size. It has better T/S and similar distortion to the A/C used in the Continuum, for example. 
I have a signature.
JasonPD1PP1NgreywardenMzissersonDanP

Comments

• It models really well in .25 cf vented.
  • Yes it does craig. That's about what I used and about .6 for a pair. Fb was about 50.
  • FWIW, I will be using them in a small, sealed alignment. Not overly concerned about bass extension in this particular design. 
    isaeagle4031
    I have a signature.
  • It is a nice driver. I do dislike the looks of them. Not sure if it can be dyed or something. 
  • They actually have a nearly pearlescent cast to the cone, a marked improvement over typical clear anodized raw aluminum. Hard to explain, but they are better looking than pictures suggest. Of course, they would benefit from a black anodizing imho.

I have a signature.
  • Hmm, maybe a white gloss baffle would look nice. I need to pick up a pair of these and a nice tweeter then. 
  • Here's a FR/dist of a MTM (MCM55-2669 and Beston RT002a).
    greywardenPWRRYD
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Thank you, Kenny. I am excited about working with this driver again. 
    isaeagle4031
    I have a signature.
  • If you guys start buying this driver up, I may be able to make a case for a black anodized version with a couple changes ;)
    jr@mac
  • edited September 2016
    Ge_off_me said:
    If you guys start buying this driver up, I may be able to make a case for a black anodized version with a couple changes

1. Black anodized would be badass. 

2. The only thing this driver is missing from being a serious competitor is a shorting ring of sorts. 

3. I would buy a quad of them with those additions - I have already bought about 18 of them in the last several years as-is. 

Geoff - I have an idea about this. Can you email me? jr at midwestaudioclub dot com
    kennykJasonP
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Ge_off_me said:
    If you guys start buying this driver up, I may be able to make a case for a black anodized version with a couple changes

1. Black anodized would be badass. 

2. The only thing this driver is missing from being a serious competitor is a shorting ring of sorts. 

3. I would buy a quad of them with those additions - I have already bought about 18 of them in the last several years as-is. 

Geoff - I have an idea about this. Can you email me? jr at midwestaudioclub dot com
    Sure can, sending now.
  • Where did you cross over Kenny?
  • And was the RT002A dipole or was there an enclosure behind it?  Thanks.
  • I think 2.5k(I have to look it up) and the plain vanilla rt002a, not the dipolar. 
  • I received my four 55-2669 woofers today.  The cones, surrounds, and dust caps look pretty nice.  Much nicer than the Dayton DS series paper cones.  Huge magnet for a 5.25" driver.  Nice under sprider venting.  The cast frames are a pretty low quality casting.  That won't effect how they sound and I guess who can complain given their cost.  Better than flimsy stamped steel ;)
  • Got those new aluminum tweeters.......can they fit with the 5 1/4" and the 8" woofer.........?
  • My guess is if you bought the 53-5165 you could probably damn near cross it straight to the 8", I won't know for a little while yet, but I am guessing as long as you don't need 105db output, the 5165 will play below 2K just fine.
    kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • My real question is the 8" not the 5 1/4". I used the MCM 55-2669 @ 2.5K with a beston and was well received. Just not excited with the 8". I will kick it's butt into submission.

• edited September 2016
    I would like a bigger box(for the 55-2421) ........will work it out.
    PS: Don't offer suggestions..........Damn! I'll figure this sucker out.
  • MCM at MWAF............?
  • Lol that won't happen, ever.

We don't really have the best relationship with the guys over there at PE.

We will be sending equipment to DIY events, and hopefully attending a few next year though ;)
    Mzisserson
  • Oh it wouldn't surprise me if somebody brought an mcm sourced build to mwaf. 
    ...wouldn't surprise me if someone shipped one in ;)
    I have a signature.
    I think I misunderstood what was going on lol
    This is where I was going.  ;)
  • I have a few of these sitting around and for the hell of it I modeled the measured T/S from them for a MLTL. Here are the results. I'm going to build this, because this looks damn excellent to me.

The design is using the Denovo 1.16 cubic foot knockdown cabinets from PE (I have them already built and sitting about), with two of the 55-2669 in parallel at the top front. 3" radius, 6" long port on bottom back. 1 ohm air core coil modeled in series (raises Q, helps these babies dig deep) which costs some sensitivity, but these drivers don't lack that.

That is 20 watts into 4 ohms. 3 mm RMS displacement is about 4.2mm, and while outside the driver's linear value a bit seems quiet doable given experience with this robust model.
    kennyk
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Oh, and that is the bottom of a three way, so I'm ignoring that port resonance up around 800 hz.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I have an mtm almost ready to measure with these 1cf. I can't decide if I want to do sealed and cross it to my rs210 8" Sub via minidsp or go ported so it's kind of a standalone deal. the model looks good. 
  • edited September 2020

Looks the the 55-2669/55-3669 are NLA.
    Sorry to bring up the old thread. I earned myself the "I'm Not Dead Yet" badge in doing so.

JasonPSilver1omorjj45
  • Sad to see a great driver go...

JasonP