Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Craigslist purchase

I'm meeting a guy after work tonight to buy his "perfect" condition Hitachi HMA-6500 power amp.  The reviews I've found on-line look pretty promising.  He's only asking $90.

Comments

• Nice, never knew such a thing existed. They look nice though. I like vintage stuff.
  • Nice score , I had to google it . So am I reading this correctly ? You loose power when you drop the impedance load ?

• Sweet! Gotta love those old (accurate) power ratings. Wonderful power bandwidth and S/N for that unit. Solid buy.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I just got home with it.  He had it hooked up so I could listen to it before buying.  It looks great and sounded nice and balanced on his early 80's looking Infinity towers.  Can't wait to hook it up to my Yamaha CD player, diy tube preamp, and one of my speaker designs.  My kids are going to love these power meters!!!

Nick, I don't know about that power rating.  I'd say this thing is pretty large size for 50 wpc but only so-so weight wise.  The transformer is big but not a tank like the burnt up NAD 50 wpc amp I got from Craig K.  That thing was HEAVY.

I'll listen to it for a while and compare it to my Rotel amp, my latest ClassDaudio amp, and my SET tube amp.  If it sounds decent I will recap it and see if there are any upgrades diy guys suggest.
    Nicholas_23S7910
  • Nice score! Love the silver & the meters. It's tough to find old gear in good condition for a reasonable price these days. Looking at Audiokarma, there's some love for these old Hitachi's. I see comments about the superior sound of MOSFETs. 

Hah! Now you'll be going down the Vintage Audio rabbit hole!!
    rjj45
  • Nice find, Craig! Love those old Hitachi's for their nice, clean sound.

Although I may be slightly biased since my dad had one of their receivers when I was growing up.
  • Not losing power, necessarily, I think they are rating at a certain THD. It probably does 100Wpc at 4ohm, but distortion will likely rise so they just rated it at the same thd as the 8ohm output. 
    I have a signature.
  • I hooked it up this week to my Industrials and this amp sounds just as good as my Rotel 90W x 2.  It might sound better, it might sound worse... those speakers aren't exactly the most revealing design I've ever done ;)