Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Eclipse W520R-8 (special measurement conditions)

I brought a MTM to Iowa last year that used a pair of these, paired with Dayton Audio RS28. Same frame as the MCM 55-2669, which is a good thing, and possessed of a copper cap (or maybe entire sleeve) and a poly cone with minimal breakup. These are very nice drivers, and plans are to develop a compact, high end desktop monitor using it someday soon. 

(Sorry, do not have screen shots of the following two measurements, just FRD and ZMA files).

In-box response, measured at 1M, on a tweeter axis. Account for a few db loss above 2.5k or so as a result. 

In-box impedance of pair in parallel:

SPL accurate at 1M:

As can be seen, pretty low distortion and the breakup is relatively benign (even accounting for the slight off-axis bias in these measurements), as well as not propagating as 3rd order distortion lower in frequency. 

As my MCM project progresses, I will be paralleling the Eclipse monitor project at the same time - the two drivers behave very similarly in a given enclosure and share the same cutout etc. I will post single driver measurements when I get to that point. 

http://meniscusaudio.com/eclipse-w520r8-p-1523.html

Good price, excellent performance - this is a driver I would consider leading edge in the P/P (price divided by performance) factor, and could very well serve as a reference in that regard in the 5" category. 
I have a signature.

Comments

• I did like this driver at SD despite the tuning of the TL being off. The price point is $ 19 for mcm vs $49 eclipse. I'm interested to see the differences in the two. Thanks for posting the measurements. 
  • Actually, one of the woofers wasn't even hooked up! But yes, very nice little woofer and definitely priced right - Dayton would have a $70 price tag on this thing. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Actually, one of the woofers wasn't even hooked up! But yes, very nice little woofer and definitely priced right - Dayton would have a $70 price tag on this thing. 
    Hey Jeff has to pay for his new Vette, right?  :)