Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

screws, yeah screws - 'specially the haids

Guys, I built these little desktop speakers with a Gradient Audio 4 inch and a Neo3.
Everyday I look at them the the darn pan haids on the screws just chaps my, well you get the idea.
What choices do I have for a wood screw. I'd really like them to be low profile.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
Tagged:

Comments

• Try #4s.  This is #6 on the tweeter and #4 on the midwoofer

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Try some Robertson head "trim screws". The heads are less than a quarter inch in diameter and are of the flush variety. They only stick up a little when installed. They only come in 1.5" length, and some have an unthreaded shank just below the head. Get ythe ones that don't have that for thinner baffles.
  • Thanks Guys   - appreciate the posts.
    The Robertson head trim screws look pretty good, thanks Wolf.
    John, smaller size would not offend my eye so much, but to tell the truth, I just can't stand those
    PE pan head screws on a finished build. Someone made the suggestion in a thread somewhere to 
    look at gun blue to dye bright screws dark blue. That is probably what I"ll investigate.
    Last choice (which I might do anyways) is to use the low profile socket heads and threaded inserts.
    That's close the look I want anyways. Low profile.
    Thanks again.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • PE doesn't sell #4s.  :)  I've done flat head but didn't find any pictures
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • You could use t-nuts or just tap the front panel if the material is rigid enough. Baltic Birch or polymer baffle holds the thread quite nicely.

JasonP
  • You could use t-nuts or just tap the front panel if the material is rigid enough. Baltic Birch or polymer baffle holds the thread quite nicely.

Thanks yeah, I'm going to give those a try. I won't know until I use them. I pretty much standardized on baltic birch, but will probably use threaded inserts. 

• Whatever you do, avoid the PE socket cap head black oxide "wood screws". The regular panheads are good, the rest are absolute shit.
    rjj45R-Carpenter
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    Whatever you do, avoid the PE socket cap head black oxide "wood screws". The regular panheads are good, the rest are absolute shit.
    Ask me how I know , the head on the socket cap screws seem to be made out of melted down soda cans. I wouldnt even give these away to someone.
    jr@mac
  • jr@mac said:
    Whatever you do, avoid the PE socket cap head black oxide "wood screws". The regular panheads are good, the rest are absolute shit.
    Ask me how I know , the head on the socket cap screws seem to be made out of melted down soda cans. I wouldnt even give these away to someone.
    agreed. non-standard metric socket size also, and non-deep threads. Losers in every way.
  • Button head screws are lower profile than the standard round or pan head screws. The head is a little larger in diameter than the equivalent round/pan head but sit about half as much flatter. I like the appearance better. The socket head screws Roman linked to look better, too. I've used both and choose when I want subtle or pronounced. The pan heads always seem to look out of place. :)
    McMaster carries them.