Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (7)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Comments

• If I took the average person around here and sat them in front of a pair of MartinLogans, they would be amazed at the sound even if they were being driven by a $20 low power classD amp driven hard into clipping.  Just saying.      
  • Kornbread, I sure hope you mean the average person in your physical area and not use goldeneared folks at MAC :open_mouth:

I know what you meant, and I have a kind of a story about turning someone on to better shit. My wifes cousin is a latent audiophile who showed up at my house with this godawful pair of old Sansui speakers that he wanted me to replace the woofer on. He also brought a woofer. The cabinets were shot, so I offered to build new cabinets, the replacement woofer was shot so I sourced a different one. The crossovers were both compromised due to failed L-Pads, so he bought new ones instead of asking my advice. So anyways, he was awful proud of them - I spent an hour helping him get his space set up etc. Those speakers still suck, like wow they suck. 

Then he listened to some much better speakers, and after an initial period of  denial, he has now come to understand why I asked him to come to me whenever he sees a "deal". 

So yeah, most people dont know - but most people are capable of learning what is better. 
    I have a signature.
  • Yep, most people have no idea, especially around here in Walmart country.  If it isn't something Wallyworld stocks, they've never seen it before.  This is a really poor area of the country so exposure to the finer things in life is limited.   

One of my work buddies never wore his earplugs so I made a deal with him before he goes deaf.  He wears his plugs and I build him a decent pair of speakers.  He got a free pair of Overnights in the deal.  He later came back for a pair of Overnight towers for his in-laws' anniversary.  Which I built for the cost of parts.  In his words "How do they do that?" 

One of his buddies overheard the conversation and replied the he wanted some speakers for his workshop and money wasn't a problem.  He "... wanted something Bose good."  um ... yea ... ok. 

We have something called the 100mile yard sale (Google it) and I've considered setting up an outside booth with several of my builds on active display.  I'm thinking it might be a good way to support my habit and expose others to the hobby.                        

• Eastern South Dakota is generally Klipsch country, with Bose a close second. 

First time my Klipsch loving friend came over and listened to a pair of NHT Super Audio ST4 I used to own he offered to buy them on the spot. Those guys at NHT know what they are doing. 
    I have a signature.
  • A pair of NHT 2.5i were my first new 'hi-end' buy.  Now have two pairs of them and one pair of superzeros.  I keep them around as benchmarks for all the other stuff ... and because they're just a damn good all around speaker.  My understanding was NHT lost some of its passion after Kantor left.     

Sorry Klipsch peeps but I'm just not a fan.  And yes, Blose and Klipsch have brand recognition here.  Of the speaker brands I've bought to resale, I'd venture to say Klipsch moves the fastest.