Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (7)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Minidsp measurement and design tips

I want to try a 2way design with a minidsp HD. I am assuming you use REW for the measurements and then use their EQ features to load into the minidsp? Or i can use my omnimic files with phase and load them into rew to tweak. 

I thought i read that you shouldnt use a class d amplifier to take your measurements. I have a sure 4x100 board i need to setup for a 2way design but dont need to use that for my measurements. 

I also mainly bought this so I can highpass my 2ways and cross to my subs so i can have active 3 ways to interchange all the 2 ways i currently have. 

Im new to this active stuff so any advice is appreciated. 

Comments

• You can you REW, you can use Omnimic, you can just eyeball it, or earball it, the sky is the limit. The miniDSP allows for realtime adjustment, so you can hear the adjustment as fast as you can click.

REW has some features that allow you to set up the EQ in REW, and export the biquad functions directly into the miniDSP. This method does have its downsides since you are essentially losing the realtime adjustment ability of the miniDSP in doing so.

Omnimic also has EQ features, it will calculate parametric filters and show you the expected response, then you can just copy the values over to the miniDSP. Its a bit more tedious, but you keep the ability to make realtime tweaks in the miniDSP software.

Some class-D amps don't have a linear response at the top end, like 10khz+, but if its the same amp you're using for playback, then by all means you should use it for measurement to include its non-linear response in your tuning.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited November 2018
    Used one 300x2 and 2 channels of a 100x4 t-amp chip-amp to power the mids and tweets on the not a khanspires.  Also used REW and a Pe usb mic to measure and setup the two minidsp.  I think REW and the minidsp will talk to each other, but from the experience I had with eq'ing subs, it was easier to get them sounding right doing it by hand.  

Also used the minidsp and REW to cross the last build using the Gradient 6.5", da25bg, and sd215.  Eventually I'll build a proper passive crossover, but it's nice to get an idea on how things will sound before going to all the trouble building a proper crossover.