Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Latest project - a Dayton MTM

It only took me almost 8 months to finish this build but I finally got it done! I wanted to try out the TCP115 woofers in a MTM design (my first one) so I paired them with the ND25FA tweeter. Decided to use some of my Suar wood I had lying around and tried to integrate the live edge of the wood into the design. It turned out ok but would be more noticeable if the baffles were thicker. Both baffles are from one piece of wood with only about 2" missing from the middle of the piece. The rest of the cabinets are 3/4' BB. Pretty simple 12db electrical filters on both drivers with a zobel on the woofer and l-pad on the tweeter - crossover point was at 3k. Box is .25cf tuned to 58hz by a 2"x8" port. 

PCD response,

In room response at 2ft,

Glamour shots =)

Some build pics,

A decent little speaker for what the drivers cost - and a surprising amount of low end response from a couple 4" drivers. I did have a few oops while making these - one you can see in the last picture here around the speaker opening and the other is a big gouge on the back of one of the speakers from when I was putting the round overs on the cabinets. Now that the rainy season has started I might actually start on some other projects I have been wanting to do for a while now B)
jhollanderPWRRYDD1PP1NJasonP

Comments

• Nice piece of wood on those baffles, good job.
  •  Fun little project! 
    I totally dig the mitered corners - I usually wimp out and do a butt joint, but
    of course a miter is so much better.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • But I have to ask, where do you source your ply? That is very nice ply. #askingforafriend
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • 6thplanet said:
    Nice piece of wood on those baffles, good job.
    rjj45 said:
     Fun little project! 
    I totally dig the mitered corners - I usually wimp out and do a butt joint, but
    of course a miter is so much better.
    JasonP said:
    But I have to ask, where do you source your ply? That is very nice ply. #askingforafriend
    Thanks guys!

Rjj - I prefer the mitered corners when I use the ply, and a small round over usually takes care of any gaps =)

Jason I get my BB ply from a local supplier called Windsor Plywood. It might be a bit of a drive for you as I live on the west coast of Canada :p
    rjj45