Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

R176-P-08

RAD will no longer be selling the Rival R176-P-08 paper woofer.
It has not been discontinued by Rival.
RAD will only be stocking drivers that we feel customers want. We originally thought the 'P' would be our best seller, but that is not the case. Go figure. We may revisit this in the future, but for now R176-P-08 is NLA at RAD.
We are presently negotiating for the R176-CPN-08. (New version of CP) Rival improved the coating for the CP. The designation will be CPN. They did this to avoid confusion with the early version.

Cheers,
Leon
konfyousedJasonPkennyk

Comments

• That would have been my guess too.  
  • I wonder how much difference between the CPN and the CP? I have four of the CP sitting here.
    rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    I wonder how much difference between the CPN and the CP? I have four of the CP sitting here.
    They look very similar. I'm hoping to have the specs this week.
  • I'm hoping they are close enough that the Fenrir isn't a dead kit as most of the paper derivatives are likely similar.

I liked them...

• edited November 2018
    Wolf said:

I'm hoping they are close enough that the Fenrir isn't a dead kit as most of the paper derivatives are likely similar.

I liked them...

That's a nice sounding speaker. To my ears, everything sounded just right with the Fenrir. I think what I like most about the P is how smooth it is. My friend built a set of Fenrirs in a beautiful walnut burl for his son. Good job Ben.

• Thank you! You have pics? I'd love to see them...
  • Darn! No I don't. He lives in BC and is working in Germany. I'll try to get some. I put a set together here just to give them a listen. I had them running for about two weeks. I really like them. Excellent clarity. It's too bad they didn't become popular. I think people missed out on a great deal there.
    At the time, I asked Rival if I could lower the price substantially for that kit. For a while I had all the Fenrir drivers including shipping on sale for $149. Now that's disgusting! I was terribly disappointed. 
    At the rate I'm going I will never get Rival's premium drivers. Rival is pretty pissed at me at the moment for low-balling their drivers. Oh well. Such is life.  :p
    rjj45
  • I decided to put the 'P' back in stock. After a few irate emails from locals, I thought this to be a good idea before they start breaking my windows.  :)  
    rjj45
  • So the Fenrir is still valid! Cool...
  • edited December 2018

Yes, it looks like the Fenrir will be around for a while. :)

I’m looking at some drivers for the New Year.

· Coated carbon fiber similar to Morel SCW 636 cone in 5.5’’ ($64-$69), 7’’($74-#79) and 8.5’’($99-$110)

· Paper in 5.5’’($64-$69) and 8.5’’($99-$110) cone is different from the ‘P’

· Kevlar in 5.5’’($64-$69)

We will be dropping the KVC in favor of the coated carbon fiber.

I have been told that these prices will be stable. :)

I doubt that we will ever carry tweeters.

We are debating whether to get out of crossover parts or keep them. Maybe just concentrate on drivers only. We'll be debating this over the holidays.

New products will be posted here before customer alerts are sent.

kennykS7910JasonP
  • woohoo!
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Rohacell or coated Carbon Fiber? Very different because one is a sandwich with Rohacell foam in the middle, and coated carbon fiber is like that of the Audax.
  • edited December 2018
    I can get the sandwich drivers with Rohacell but they are too expensive for my shallow wallet. These coated carbon are not a Rohacell sandwich. I guess more like the Dayton Epique cone. 
    You probably didn't see the Rohacell glass fiber sandwich ones we had for a while. Those come in yellow, black and white. They didn't sell well, so we stopped carrying them.
    The yellow ones are used in my HELIOS with the Bozhen ribbon tweeter.

rjj45konfyoused
  • I'm guessing the CF drivers will go like hotcakes. Nice!
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    I'm guessing the CF drivers will go like hotcakes. Nice!
    We'll see about that. I originally thought we would have trouble keeping the 'P' in stock. WRONG!  :)
  • I'm interested in the two 8.5" offerings, but I'm a one-off builder who doesn't excessively self promote my designs.
  • Gowa said:Those come in yellow, black and white. They didn't sell well, so we stopped carrying them.
    The yellow ones are used in my HELIOS with the Bozhen ribbon tweeter.

I saw the design, but didn't get to hear it.

• They are still not painted. I can't decide. Sometimes I think white, sometimes I think black. Today I'm leaning toward opal white. :)
  • I'm interested in both the 5.5's and the 8.5's! I really like the 5.5's I bought from you a while back!
  • Yes, the 5.5'' are fairly beastly.
    We may narrow it down to the coated carbon weave ones. They look pretty snazzy. There are two versions. One that goes lower but sacrifices some spl. Don't quote me, but I think the 5.5'' is around 45 Hz and 85 dB/1w/m. The 8.5 is in the low 30's and I think around 87 db/1w/m.
    We will look at them in the New Year and try to figure out what people want. That's the difficult part.
  • A quad of the 5.5's would make for a really nice, fairly compact mtm!
    Gowarjj45
  • Does that mean the dennis murphy R176KVC design with the RST28F will never be published (posted back in mid-November)?
  • The R176KVC design should be early in the New Year.
    e6zion
  • Good to hear it's still happening!