Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Redecorated HT/Listening Room

edited December 2018 in DIY
I'm not sure anyone is interested in this but I'll post it anyway. The HT/Listening room was way over due for a new look so we repainted and redecorated it.

My wife and her BFF (she does home staging) took over the redecorating part. My daughter moved into her own apartment so we gifted her our 20 year old furniture which required another upgrade. I also couldn't resist the hot deals on TV's during black Friday week and I bought a 4K UHD DV quantum technology 65" TV to round out the new look.

So, now I'm broke but we'll be entertained during the crappy weather this winter. :-)  I hate winter! That was the story I sold my wife on anyway...

Jim

Hmmm.... This is the 1st picture I've tried to insert on this forum and it appears I don't know what the hell I'm doing. :-(

Comments

• edited December 2018
    Nice looking setup.  My dedicated listening room has been turned into a spare bedroom.

Ron
  • edited December 2018
    Love it! That dark wall is great. Which speakers are those?
  • very, very cool
  • Thanks Guys! I appreciate the kind comments. The girls did a nice job with the art work etc. and color scheme. They had to talk me into the accent wall but in use its pretty cool. When we watch TV/movies with the lights dimmed, the TV fades into the wall and all you see is the picture.

Ron; we built the house about 20 years ago and this was designated as my "man cave" so I've had my own space for my hobbies and family entertainment. All the kids are gone now and we're getting old so we'll have to sell it one of these days. It's way to big for just my wife and I. Until then, I'm going to enjoy the space. ;)

Jim
  • Jim,

You're kind of in the neighborhood.  Maybe when I get my space back we can compare spaces.

Ron
  • Hi Ron,

That sounds like fun. There's not enough of DIY'ers in the area and we only see each other once a year. We should fix that.

I'm 5 miles east of Pleasanthill near Toad Valley golf course so I'm only about 30 miles from Ames. That's one of the reasons I was excited to help find a spot in Ankeny for this years DIY event. I hope we can go back next year. I thought the acoustics were very good and I may have an entry for next years event. ;)

Jim

• The front is a wall of speakers. What subwoofers are those under the center channel? 

Nice setup. What are the dimensions of the room?

• edited December 2018
    ani_101 said:
    The front is a wall of speakers. What subwoofers are those under the center channel? 

Nice setup. What are the dimensions of the room?

Hi Ani,

The subs are DIY Cable Tempest X-2's which are no longer available. I hope they last forever because I really like them for home theater. I don't use subs for music.

The room measures 14'W x 19 '6" D. The actual seated listening position is about 17'. I've had a lot of different speakers in the room and it's worked well without any treatment.

Jim
    ani_101
  • Do you play that Strat Jim?
  • Clean and classy.  Love it.

You sure you love those Tempests?  ;)
  • Very nice - looks like a cool place to hang out! Is that a big Emotiva amp on the bottom shelf?
  • PWRRYD said:
    Do you play that Strat Jim?
    Hi Craig,

Nope, I can't play a lick. We bought it for my daughter when she was in high school and thought she wanted to learn to play guitar. That faded so it sat for a number of years and we decided it would add to the music theme of the room. Now its a functional decoration. :)

Jim
  • edited December 2018
    Tom_S said:
    Very nice - looks like a cool place to hang out! Is that a big Emotiva amp on the bottom shelf?
    Hi Tom,

It's an XPA-5 I bought a few years ago and moved the LPA-1 upstairs for the 2nd system. I really liked the original Emotiva designed amps but I'm not as sold on the latest line. I'm a luddite. If I could afford it, I'd go pure class A but I'm not so I'm happy with class A/B which Emotiva does very well. Tons of power and excellent sound quality. All just my opinion of course. ;)

Jim
  • joeybutts said:
    Clean and classy.  Love it.

You sure you love those Tempests?  ;)
    Hi Joey,

Yes, I do. :3

I'm sorry that Kevin went out of business. These have 26mm xmax with an XBL motor and a Kevlar impregnated paper cone. I run them in sealed compartments which puts them into the upper 20's without room gain and is enough to make me happy. They were reasonably priced and very well designed. PE's Ultimax are about he only other reasonably priced driver available today as far as I know.

I like choices!

Thank you for the nice comments!

Jim