Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Active vs Passive crossovers

Today I got out my big bookshelf speakers. They are actively crossed with a Rane crossover and 6 channel Rane amp. Not the latest technology but I am very pleased with the way they sound. They use a 10" Usher woofer, Vifa 3" dome mids and the RS28A tweeters. I am able to adjust the crossover frequencies, the loudness and the delay. The only 3 way passives I have were designed a while back by Darren Kuzma. I have been trying to learn how to do passive crossovers for almost 15 years and I still am not very good. I would like to hear discussion about the two sides and try to figure out how I want to spend my time. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• I do not have any active DSP experience, but most guys seem pretty happy with their rigs. I DO have a Rane analog crossover, and after playing with it a bit, put it back on the shelf. I found that the limitation of 2nd order crossovers was a bit limiting. I may revisit this later when/if I buy a MiniDsp HD.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I believe my Rane has LR4 crossovers.  I have used it alot for driver testing.  I found it helped to get rid of some of my frustration with my limited success with passives.  You can't keep buying drivers and not hear what they sound like.  
  • Boxers vs briefs?  My conclusion is to keep doing both.  If I see a great distance in the two I will go the way I can get the best sound the easiest.  thanks for your thoughts.
  • You are using a Rane Active crossover with a bunch of knobs on the front that looks something like this?

This type of crossover is great, but really more geared towards being used used in conjunction with something like a 31-band graphic EQ to fine tune the response, since all this type of crossover provides is adjustable "text-book" filters.

A properly done DSP system provides the best of both worlds, since you can generate complex crossover and EQ functions, and do it in the digital domain before any D/A converting occurs. You get all the function of the big rack of knobs and sliders but in a nice small convenient package controlled by software. Like anything else, the quality of the output is dependent upon the quality of the processes before it. Poor sample rate conversion, lots of D/A and A/D conversions, poor gain stages adding noise etc can ruin the sound, but when done correctly it can be amazing.

DSP can also be a great advantage passive speaker as well, to allow room EQ adjustments and "voicing" adjustments as well without having to change parts in the filters.

Some DSP systems even allow saving of DSP presets so you can save a few different EQ settings and do A/B comparison, or simply have a different set up for movies vs music, or a different EQ setting for thin recordings from the 80's. I know the new Hypex Fusion plate amps allow saving of 4 presets, and you can buy a remote control to switch between them.
    rjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • First of all, thank you for your thoughts.  I have a mini dsp that I have never used.  I don't know how to get started.  My Rane is an AC23.  It is a 3 way and has a way to build in a delay.  I also have a sound meter to help with the balancing.  I like the system but I only set it up a couple of times per year.  I am very frustrated with the passive world and I just wonder if it is worth it some times.  I prefer a 3 way to most 2 ways and I am not ready to do a passive 3 way.  I can try any drivers I want.  Now I have a 10" Usher with a Vifa dome mid and a RS28A tweeter.  It is pretty sweet.  My favorite 2 way is JRs RS225P and RS28A,  It has a sweet mid.  
  • Once you get started I think you will find the minidsp software super easy to use and much more flexible than the Rane.   
  • I have both passive and active systems and I can get results with my active system that just can't be done with passive crossovers. I use Bodzio's Ultimate Equalizer software running on a PC with a multi channel sound card. The software handles the crossover which can be set to any frequency and slope up to 48db/oct all while doing EQ for flat response. It was facilities for making multiple measurements in room from the listening position to EQ out room modes below 200Hz. The software is not the easiest to set up but the results are worth the trouble.

This is the 1 meter gated response of my system with 48db/oct LR filters at 400HZ and 4Khz. The graph is good down to 250Hz.

Ron
    kenrhodesPWRRYDani_101