Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

SB13PFC25-8, SB19ST-C000-4 2 way. Crossover help needed.

2»

Comments

• I built an MTM with the SB13PFC and really liked it. The mids had a lot of smooth, sweet detail.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited February 2019

Just for fun - and I'm very new at this - I modelled a three way in Xsim with the SB19, SB13PFC and SB 20PFC, using the squarmishdroc crossover above, I hope it's OK to borrow someone  else's hard work.  If not, my apologies but the 2 way model looked so good, I didn't see the point in changing it.

I don't plan to build this as I have two projects on the go at the moment, but I know that three way crossovers are very hard to get right and would be interested to know what people think.  The SB20 zma and frd files were taken from fptrace  using SB's graphs and not actual measurements.

The project may happen if I can convince a friend that I can build him a better three way speaker than the mid 1980s generic three way he has at the moment. The total driver cost in Oz would be $240, not bad value.

Any thoughts welcome! 

Thank you

Geoff

I have a set of those 20PFC's just sitting on the shelf in the garage. Should probably do something with them but the other speakers are at a local brewery so a three way with them won't happen anytime soon. Where in Aus are you Geoff? My dad lives in Perth.
  • We're in Melbourne; weather like Perth but often gets even hotter: 47C was our record this summer. No good for speaker building or painting!

Any thoughts on the Xsim model?

Geoff

• Ken,

I don't think you need to do anything with the breakup on the woofer. That woofer has a fairly benign breakup and I measured no accompanying distortion spike from it. I used the same woofer and tweeter in a design but in a 3-way with the woofer as my mid. Here is the circuit I used for that. I think it was crossed around 3 kHz.

kenrhodes
  • We're in Melbourne; weather like Perth but often gets even hotter: 47C was our record this summer. No good for speaker building or painting!

Any thoughts on the Xsim model?

Geoff

I was in Perth for 3 weeks at Christmas and your side was having some pretty hot days that's for sure. The model looks good - I would listen to it and make adjustments to the bottom end if it was needed. 

Have you heard of Lucie Audio? He is based in Melbourne and working on a nice little dsp/dac setup and speaker too. https://www.lucieaudio.com.au/
  • Thanks for the comments. I will also need to figure out the required cabinet size and port dimensions.

I've had an optic at the link: he must be unique in retail in that he names the drivers used.  Usually there's some b-ll-cks about 'custom designed in house exclusively' etc.  There are some other local firms who use SB or Peerless drivers and don't identify them, fair enough I guess but it might get them more sales if people recognise quality drivers have been used.  Maybe not.

Weather now back to mid 20s, much more tolerable.

Geoff