Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

U-Turn Orbit Turntable

2»

Comments

• Looks like I have a Dual 1237 gen.2 w/green AT stylus on the way. 
  • And it looks like a U-Turn Pluto phono-pre too.  With a little maintenance (belt, lube job) on a ~40 year old table this should be a respectable vinyl setup. 
  •   Should be a great table. Those Duals have a huge following and they seem very durable. I don't know that model, only the 12xx series, but the tonearms look very similar. 
  • On vacation this week so going to try and get ahead with the homework, mod that tube preamp, clean some vinyl, and go fishing.

Or maybe just go fishing.  =)  
  • Ha, went fishing.  Caught one of the biggest crappies I've ever caught.

Anyhow, the Pluto phonopre came in.  Clean and simple looking little white box.  It made a huge difference in sound using the same old cheap Fisher turntable but substituting the Pluto in place of the Carver C-2 preamp.  Everything is much more in focus and a second record cleaning session helped decrease ticks and pops.  Some were rinsed with tap water after rewashing, some were not.  Then they were left to air dry on their rack.

There is some power supply hum now, doesn't matter if the turntable is plugged in or not and seems to be coming from the Pluto.  Have to dig into that.       

The bad thing about flea-market records.  If there's a scratch, it's always in the worst of all possible spots. 
  • Hum is not coming from the Pluto phonopre, but the dsp408. 

There are these small white snowflakes just larger than black pepper flakes on some of the vinyl and not sure where they are coming from.  Was thinking some kind of plastic record sleeve that had long ago disintegrated but some of the records are in paper sleeves and still have the flakes. 

Anyhow, some of these flakes seem to have permanently attached themselves to the records.  I have tried using Elmer's wood glue to lift them with no luck. 

Suggestions?   
  • I have done it.  I have officially lost it.  $200 on a cartridge for a 40 year old turntable that probably didn't cost $200 when it was new and now I find the damn turntable doesn't work.   
  • Stop....take a deep breath...... evaluate the table..... repair or replace it......now exhale.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • edited May 2019
    There is a guy (shop?) near me that advertises almost daily on craigslist.  He is always listing tons of turntable repair parts.  Motors, tone arms, weights, etc.  Maybe he has exactly what you need.  I can send you a link if you're interested.
  • Registered with vinylengine and burning a lot of time gathering information on the thing.  May take it out the the shed today and pull it apart.  I do not like small parts, especially small parts with springs attached to them.  Hope this doesn't wind up like all my other unfinished projects.        
  • The lubes don't look as dried out as a 40 year old tt would suggest, so I'm thinking it may have been serviced sometime in its 40 year past. 
    It has a plastic base with small wood/particle board panels glued onto the side.  The small panels are wrapped in vinyl.  The wrap is coming up and looks like poop.  What can I do with this?  Try to pull the wood pieces off the plastic and replace with some solid Maple strips or can the vinyl wrap be pulled off and veneer be applied?  I guess you would do small pieces like big ones; leave some veneer hanging over and trim with the router?  What kind of glue for the veneer?     

• I wouldn't spend put too much time into the base until the platter is doing what it's supposed to. What are the patient's symptoms?
  • I am beat.  The probles are listed here on Vinylengine.   http://https//www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=111292