Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Wireless Rooters

Curious if any of you are running the ASUS RTAC86U router or its bigger 8 port brother? Im on the hunt and need to upgrade, this one looked nice. It seems to have issues though, with the 2.4 crapping out after a couple hours to a couple months of use and they have to be sent in for repair. 

TIA

Comments

• I used the rt-ac1200, very good router. I used it for an job site access point, in a steel cabinet with the door closed I still got a good signal from it.

In my home I use a ubiquity edgerouter and a ubiquity access point. Powerful and reliable, and the combo I think is not much different in cost to your a fancy "gaming" router.
    Nicholas_23
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I have two Asus AC1900, one I have had for 3 years and the other I got last year.  Both work fine and cover a large area.
    Nicholas_23
  • I wanted a router under $100 and got the RT-AC66U (AC1750). I added another 8 port gigabit switch.  I happy with it.  Much better coverage than my Linksys stuff and the interface is good.
    Nicholas_23
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Has anyone used a Mesh Router system.  The house I recently moved to, is very long with AT&T coming in one end. I bought a mesh router but haven't opened the box.  I then re noticed that there is a cat 5 cable running from one end to the other. So I may return the mesh router unopened and just get a good wireless set up. But if anyone has any opinions like mr Spock I am all ears.
  • My house is long with the ethernet connections on one end.  I move the wireless router to the middle of the house then ran ethernet from the router back to my switch.  I was going to make my own Cat6 cables but found 35 foot premade cables at PE for cheap. With 2.4 and 5 gig Hz I have better connections to my devices.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I really liked the two options of the router I posted above. It has "airmesh" and Trend Micro baked in. Those were the two selling points for me. Plus its newer so it should receive updates for the next five years , if it lasts that long. 
    Thanks for the info guys.
  • Mesh networks aren't really necessary for a home, you can extend your wifi without them. Mesh networks are more geared toward commercial settings where failover redundancy is necessary, but the marketeering department would have you believe its what you need. Most households don't need more than 2 APs, maybe 3 tops.
  • DB , whats your coverage with your UB AP ?
  • Great reference site for networking hardware: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ They do a lot of benchmarking, that site is how I ended up picking my affordable Linksys EA7500.
    Nicholas_23
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • edited January 2019

DB , whats your coverage with your UB AP ?
    I use the standard UAP which is plenty for my needs, covers the whole house and then some. Used with the POE passthrough feature on the Edgerouter, I can use the 24VAC POE power supply it comes with and run it through the Edgerouter, so I only need a single power supply for the AP and router combo. There is also a LR model for longer range, I think that one has slightly higher bandwidth capability as well. Keep in mind that longer range is a 2-way street, the wifi device at the other end also needs to be a higher strength to transmit back to the AP.

It's not just the range that makes the Ubiquity AP attractive, but it's ability to maintain its bandwidth with multiple clients and services, where some more average home wifi stuff falls flat.

Lots of info on these units online, this review from a few years back has a lot of detail on setup and interface, coverage, etc.

Also:

Nicholas_23
  • edited January 2019
    Guys, 
    I've no experience or opinion of ASUS routers per se, but one thing I always look for these days is few or no security vulnerabilities. Not sure that ASUS is good in that regard. I"m seeing a steady stream of ASUS router vulns the last few years. https://blog.securityevaluators.com/asus-routers-overflow-with-vulnerabilities-b111bc1c8eb8

Nicholas_23
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Thanks again all , researching the options from the links above . 
  • Good recs, if you already have a working router adding an "business" AP will be a more noticeable improvement than a new "home/consumer" wireless router.
    I use a small "home/SMB" Cisco wireless router as AP connected to a Switch that in turn is connected to the cable company's router and the wireless transfer rate difference is huge. It is an old Cisco box, so not super fast, but better than any of the routers provided by the cable company (4 already).
    rjj45