Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Finish MDF - Spackle alternative

So, till now I have been using spackle to prepare MDF for finishing. spread spackle especially over the glue joins and sand them - seems to hide the joints, little imperfections, dent, bumps in the mdf, minor mis-match in the panel glue ups, etc. Seems easy enough to use.

Is there any better alternative, especially since spackle can easily crack. I do have a can of bondo, but never user it - any other easy to use, filler agent that sands nicely and can be used for finishing mdf?

Comments

• Automotive body filler (ie Bondo) works great for MDF or plywood.  It is much stronger than drywall compound (spackle).  It uses a hardener so dry time is less than drywall compound.  But... it smells (outdoor use only), it doesn't sand quite as easily as spackle, and it costs a lot more.
  • I prefer cheap old Elmer's plastic wood these days. 
    I have a signature.
  • Famowood solvent based wood filler.  I would post a link, but my phone isn't letting me.
  • edited September 2016
    I used spackling, the pink stuff that dries white, on the leviathan towers, but got ahead of myself and forgot to put it on the subs. The towers look like one solid piece, but you can see the joints all over the subwoofers. I'm always open to trying new things.

@jr@mac you mean DAP plastic wood? that's all I could find.

@Face that stuff looks nice, how long does a can last on a shelf? I don't build very often. 
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)

• @Face that stuff looks nice, how long does a can last on a shelf? I don't build very often. 
    Years.  You can refresh it with a little bit of solvent.  Here's theirs: http://eclecticproducts.com/products/famowood/famowood-wood-filler-thinner.html I have a pint and it's lasted me years.

• That's my issue with the plastic wood (or other brand equivilent of wood putty).  I like how it applies, dries, and sands, but everytime I grab the partial container off my shelf the darn stuff is all dried up.  I'm extra careful to clean around the top lip so the lid should seal tightly, but it never lasts :(
  • Durham's rock hard water putty, titebond glue, water: 4, 3, 2 by volume (IIRC). The stuff is amazing. It remains water soluble though, even when hardened so you need to coat it with a finish.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • i will look in to the plastic wood, but drying is an issue... I will try the wood filler and the Durham's putty... don't know yet what i will like and prefer, but thanks for the options. I have some stuff to try now....

all my boxes will get a finish - ie, i'll take this step only if i am finishing.... at last a couple of coats of duratex
  • Ok, didn't find Elmer's plastic wood, but found DSP plastic wood... Will try it and see.

JP where do you get the Durham's putty? Face, I'll order some of the famowood stuff and see. I already have Bondo, but unless I am going for automotive or piano finish... It is on the list!
  • Where do get the famowood stuff, that sites doesn't have ordering facility, unless I missed it...
  • ani_101 said:
    Where do get the famowood stuff, that sites doesn't have ordering facility, unless I missed it...
    ani_101 said:
    Ok, didn't find Elmer's plastic wood, but found DSP plastic wood... Will try it and see.

JP where do you get the Durham's putty? Face, I'll order some of the famowood stuff and see. I already have Bondo, but unless I am going for automotive or piano finish... It is on the list!
    Durham's you can get from Lowe's in the putty section. Famowood is sold on Amazon.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Great thanks...!
  • Home depot also carries Durhams.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."