Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The new RST28F-4 tweeters???

Comments

• I just pulled from the boxes and swept my rst-28f pair..uuuuggglllyyyyy! The sweep even sounded thin and off to me.

kennyk
  • I called PE and it sounds like they will take care of me. I emailed them these screenshots and asked for a credit for different tweeters. I called right at the end of the day so I just have to call them back tomorrow.
    kennyk
  • I wonder how many people have bad RST28F tweeters and don't even know it.
  • I bet a lot.

PE issued me a refund and didn’t want them returned, so I’ll probably break them open for diagnosis as well.
  • Need to check mine. Have both aluminum and silk dome been affected?
  • Not sure Chuck.  I only had the silk dome.  

Yeah dynamo, PE didn't want my second pair back either.  The next day I notice they were out of stock and expecting a mid June arrival.
  • The sort of off one of mine was fabric. 
  • My Als measured good.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • RST28A

............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I hate to be *that* guy, but I will be *that* guy. I have six of these, bought four very close to when they were released (maybe even a pre-sale) at $25. Bought two more awhile later for $29, maybe? In any event:

Samples 1 and 2 are from the first batch. I pulled these at random, just a coincidence that the only closely matched pair I have are the first two I swept. Again, coincidentally, 3 and 4 are the earlier ones, and represent the only other reasonably well matched pair. The other two are the newer ones, one of which is a complete outlier to the rest - but might actually be the best of the lot. Who knows? It just isn't worth it to me to dick around with PE at this time, so I will keep 1 and 2 for my personal use, sell 3 and 4 since they would are perfectly serviceable, and Ebay 5 and 6 I guess. 

The scale is pretty tight, if I was using Omnimic default resolution (I am aware it does not do impedance, but the out of the box resolution makes *any* driver look amazing - that's my point) things would look much more normal. They are probably within a db or so of each other, and depending on crossover point, the drifting FS and magnitude of said resonance may not even matter two shits. On the other hand, those rear chamber resonances around 2400 or so can sometimes complicate things. The magnitude of those is simply not serious, though. Morel has an amazing reputation for selling this level of Qc for 3-5 times the cost, so there is that to consider. 

I may sacrifice 5 and 6 5 to see why they hell they are so different, I mean that is pretty different. The other five are +/-15 Hz and +/-0.65 ohm. This outlier #5 is what pisses me off - over 15% of my samples are simply out of whack - and out of whack in a way that makes it a winner. 

Weird tweeter, not sure it is worth the regular price but at the $25 I paid it seems to be ok. I have not listened to them yet, I don't think, so hopefully I'll get something together one of these first days and see what we see. 

Note: none of these are broken in. That may change things dramatically, it may not change one fucking thing. Not sure I am going to spend that two hours listening to test tones just to listen to more test tones just to format more data to put into a chart, either. 
    kennykdcibelJasonP
    I have a signature.
  • edited April 2019
    Same approach as the Dayton, these are the recently on-sale Peerless DA25BG08-06 tweeters. 

Not broken in, typical disclaimer blah blah blah. 

Barring break-in making a huge difference, not overly impressed with these either. 25% of my samples are clearly off enough to probably warrant a different padding resistor in the crossover. The other three appear to be tight from a sensitivity aspect - but the differing frequency and magnitude of the resonance will push the usefull crossover point up a ways - probably looking at a 2200 or higher XO unless one wants to custom tailor notch filters for the resonance peak. 

Le sigh. 

Possibly up next - a pair of Monacor DT-99. These appear to be a soft dome version of the Dayton titanium thing they have sold for a thousand years. 
    I have a signature.
  • I've want to try some Monacors.  Where did you get them from?
  • MCM used to sell Monacor - not sure if Newark is still carrying any of the brand or not. I probably bought these on clearance.
    I have a signature.
  • I just searched Newark they have a few Monacors but no tweeters.
  • edited April 2019
    Am I missing something? What is so good about Monacor tweeters? 
  • Nothing particular, just something uncommon in the US.
    I have a signature.
  • Agreed.  They had a number of higher SPL tweeters that were not as common a few years ago.  I'm always looking for sometime interesting and high value
  • Before mcm went down, they sent me some Monacors to design around. Cheap stuff and none of them came anywhere near specs. Completely unusable junk. 
    Nicholas_23jhollanderPWRRYDGowa

• Monacor DT-99

Fs is reasonably consistent across the two, and if the scale was a little lower resolution the energy storage at 5k and 8k would probably not be visible. 

The wrinkles in the passband of the one is concerning, the other one looks fine. The wrinkly one might benefit from a break-in, but it is a glued together tweeter so my old trick of re-seating the VC and snugging faceplate screws is not an option. It might even have ferrofluid spilling out for all I know. I don't give a shit, I am positive these were just a couple bucks on clearance and I probably needed something to hit free shipping at MCM at the time. 

Over the last few weeks I have done impedance sweeps on 14 damn tweeters and all of them exhibit drift. Kind of takes the fun out of it, so I really should run these through a break-in period and re-measure. I know some people don't think tweeters need to be exercised before use, but I have heard them change during measurements so I am a believer. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:

Monacor DT-99

I know some people don't think tweeters need to be exercised before use, but I have heard them change during measurements so I am a believer. 

Many Years ago I had some tweeters from Morel that were giving me trouble. I thought there was something wrong with them. I contacted the Morel rep and he said to break them in slowly, rather than hit them with gobs of power right away. He said that some tweeters take a longer time to settle in. He was right. I think it was the MDT30s, but not sure.
  • Looks like i dodged the bullet with my silk domes. They match esch other pretty well and meet specs. No idea what I am going to do with them yet
  • Completely unusable junk. 

Wolf
  • Matt, you want my Monacor tweeters?
    I have a signature.
  • JR - YGPM

I really ought to finish the SubOptimus and a three way tower first before I start on these though.
  • Craig, have you found a fix for the rst28? 
  • No I haven't worked on them anymore.  I currently have two big 3 ways in play.
  • To revive the thread about these, all registered attendees received a pair of 'matched B-Stock' RST28F-4 tweeters. Guess which ones they were?

I guess I'll get a crack at them as well.... Whether that is by sledge-hammer or not depends on what I can manage with them.
    kennyk
  • Pitiful!
    kennyk