Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Silicone alternative for sealing speaker boxes

Another question - is there any alternative for sealing speaker boxes to make the joints air tight? I have been using silicone caulk, but it is messy and smelly and it needs over 24 hrs to air out. It is good in the summer, but winter time really painful to use inside the house. Any better alternative to sealing the boxes from inside - doesn't need to look pretty, just seal the joints.

Comments

• Regular old latex bathtub caulk will work. 
    I have a signature.
  • The flexible latex caulk works just as well and it is water based so no nasty smell and easy soap and water cleanup.  Honestly though, with good, clean, straight cuts and a good yellow glue joint I don't feel any need to caulk my seams. 
  • I use the Loctite stuff, comes in a tube, says it's not silicone based, I did a quick google search, but I didn't find it. They sell it at Lowe's in the caulking aisle.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • I'm a wood glue guy.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I do use woodglue too, but sometimes, things just don't line up or stubbonly refuse to be square...!!! I don't like using PL premium or Gorilla glues, due to the bubbling and the sanding, sometimes the glues is harder than the wood, and then i get uneven sanding.
  • kennyk said:
    I'm a wood glue guy.

+1.  I think my woodworking breakthrough came when I started cutting the same dimension of every panel at the one time
    D1PP1N
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I am mortally scared of the table saw.... 
  • kennyk said:
    I'm a wood glue guy.

+1.  I think my woodworking breakthrough came when I started cutting the same dimension of every panel at the one time
    This is pretty important. When I make a cut list any dimension that is the same say 12" I make all of those cuts at the same time without moving the fence. Then I use a crosscut sled to trim them to proper size. 

Also, check your fence for 90deg to the table. I bought a little $20 digital angle gauge that you can zero on your tablesaw top then attach to blade or fence to verify it's 90 deg. It saves alot of time. 
  • ani_101 said:
    I am mortally scared of the table saw.... 
    Buy a table with a riveting knife and blade guard, use a push block/stick for small pieces, and there really isn't much to worry about.  IMO, routers are more dangerous.
  • What Facelly said as well! I had a router incident with this last build, no cuts but the baffle shot out and hit my finger just brused it. This thing has really come in handy and I love using it GRR-RIPPER 3D Pushblock by MICROJIG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I9UNWC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZCy2xb48XM53F 
  • Yeah I grew up using the second most terrifying table saw there was, so I'm not really scared of anything anymore lol
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)