Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Happy St. Patricks Day, my fellow DIY'ers

While I am no longer a practicer of any religious tradition, I was raised in a traditional Irish Catholic household - and tomorrow is still an important holiday as a result. We joke about the Irish drinking their way in and punching their way out - and to an extent that is actually true - but.

We also love music, and many nights I remember the family gathered in the kitchen/dining room singing and enjoying the Water of Life. My grandparents on both sides of my family left the island between the world wars, latecomers to the USA relative to the millions of Irishmen who landed here before. By the time they arrived, the rampant racism and xenophobia vis-a-vis the Irish had subsided but anti-catholic sentiment was still fairly strong. They realized the deep south, specifically Louisiana, was far more friendly to European Catholics so they ended up way down on the delta. 

In any event, the symbolism of St. Patrick banishing the snakes from Ireland is still a very strong cultural memory within my family. We always celebrate with a party the night before - and a day of sobriety and reflection on the day of. 

So raise a glass to those who succeeded that you are able to sit here and read this. If you know anyone named Hailey or Halley or Healy - give a smile, wish them top of the morning. My family name was O' Heilidhe - anglicised to Healy. 

Anywhoo - it is now time to pull a cork and enjoy a dram or four. I just wanted to share a bit about my past. Happy Saturday, and may the road rise with you.
I have a signature.
JasonPdynamoS7910kennykSilver1omo

Comments

• Happy St. Patrick's Day, JR. Thank you for sharing
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • edited March 2019
    Happy St. Patrick's Day. Tonight I'm just trying to stay up late so we can take a long flight to Cuba on Tues...Finally taking a real vacation instead of time off for renovation projects.

St Patrick's used to be a crazy time when I was younger, I have a good friend who's birthday is a couple days prior, so that always led to trouble for several days in a row, but he's 700 miles away now and we're too old for that stuff anyway.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The McFaddens, Dillons and Vaughans, thank you for the nice post.  Cornbeef and cabbage tonight, yum!
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Cabbage mixed in with the taters , smoked brisket flat ( ala pastrami) not boiled but did pressure cook another last night. Some Carrots and bread the kid and ma made. 
    kennyk
  • Hey... i had the Chargriller Akorn...  Loved that grill.  It got me hooked on lump charcoal and low and slow cooking.   I have a Big Green Egg now.  Nice Cook!
  • Haaa , funny, what gave it away that it was the Akorn ? 
  • Wait till it gets a little warmer , all sorts of cooks will be posted in DP steak thread. 
  • The cast iron grate and gasket gave it away for me.
  • Thats hilarious , you'll fit in here . Lol