Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

T/S Driver Testing Rig/Clamp

Does anyone have pictures or descriptions of driver holders for measuring T/S parameters?

I use to bar clamp the magnet to a table edge.  I thought i could get a little more creative than this, but maybe i will stick with it.

Thanks!
Chad

Comments

• edited March 2019
    I use my left hand. For big woofers I elevate them on a couple of 2x4 to get be the vent some clearance.
    Archer60x
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I once had a dozen mid-woofers that I needed to test, because preliminary T/S varied quite a bit.
    I broke each one in for an hour or two, then (next day) made a u-shaped fixture out of scrap 3/4 pine that
    I clamped to the bench. Each woofer then was screwed into the fixture, and LIMP tests performed.

As far as I understand, it's important to have the drivers facing up and rigidly mounted.
    Seemed to work well for me. Results were at the most, a tiny bit different than more informal methods.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I like to sit drivers on an ash tray or flower pot for support and vent clearance.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Ash-tray! Wow- that's perfect. Since I don't smoke I didn't think of that, but the requirements are indeed there.

Me- I just used a pair of 6x9 center cutouts, cut V-shaped sections out of the side with the centers being 1/2" on one, and 2" on the other, and then cut those centers out of some thick sport-flooring for top/bottom, and used a solid center piece as more vibration isolation in a 5-slab construction. The shape allows small to large drivers to sit on the holes as intended, and keeps the surface they are on isolated from the driver for eliminating resonances.

kennyk
  • Wolf!  Interesting.  I knew someone would have over engineered it like i do.

Thanks for the ideas!  I will have to do my own experiments now.

Chad
  • I put them in a big wood clamp so they're vertical and clamped down. It probably doesn't make much difference, but makes me feel better.
  • I put them in a big wood clamp so they're vertical and clamped down. It probably doesn't make much difference, but makes me feel better.
    Never have enough clamps..... especially big ones.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.