Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• I'm really trying not to justify buying some of those Peerless HDS woofers. But they would make for such a nice 3-way with the 5.25 Nomex HDSs sitting on my shelf....
    rjj45
  • PWRRYD said:
    Has anyone bought anything from PE's sale today?
    Just about to push the button on the Bash500, trying to talk myself out of the Peerless 8 inch HDS  Nomex woofers...
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • No, resisted!!! =)
  • Tom_S said:
    I'm really trying not to justify buying some of those Peerless HDS woofers. But they would make for such a nice 3-way with the 5.25 Nomex HDSs sitting on my shelf....
    I haven't had a chance to run a Unibox sim on the Peerless 8 inch. How does the bottom end look? Beuhler?
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I haven't run any sims yet either, but there are a few nice projects out on the web using it. And I'm fairly sure it's a well made driver, based on experience with the smaller varieties of the HDS series.

Here's some sims at AmpsLab - ampslab.com/blog/2017/08/19/peerless-830869-hds-nomex/
  • Did a quick WinISD sim on the 830869: In 1.28 ft3 and tuned to 38 Hz the F3 is about 43 Hz.  A 2.5" diameter port is 5.3".  The nice thing is you can get 104 dB and not exceed Xmax until 30 Hz.  Trying to resist too!
  • My last project (The Zangers) used that Peerless Nomex 8" in a two way.  I'd have to go back in my design notes to know the exact port tuning, but the enclosure was right about 1 cubic foot.  If someone was simply hung up on the "modeled" F3 number (you know who) yeah it was only in the mid 40's.  But if you look at the actual bass response, this driver in that box has a very nice rolloff.  And its somewhat higher sensitivity is quite nice.
  • I just ordered a quad of the peerless 8 inchers. They really do nothing wrong. Worth it at normal price and a no brainer at the sale price!
    rjj45DanP
  • I just caved and ordered a pair...and about $100 in coils & caps for the parts bin.

My credit card had expired. The number is the same but I couldn't find any way to simply update the expiration date on PE's site. I had to delete it and start over. Now that's just stupid! There's also no way to add a card in your account settings. You have to do that during checkout. 
  • PWRRYD said:
    My last project (The Zangers) used that Peerless Nomex 8" in a two way.  I'd have to go back in my design notes to know the exact port tuning, but the enclosure was right about 1 cubic foot.  If someone was simply hung up on the "modeled" F3 number (you know who) yeah it was only in the mid 40's.  But if you look at the actual bass response, this driver in that box has a very nice rolloff.  And its somewhat higher sensitivity is quite nice.
    I completely forgot you used those in your Zangers. I thought they had great low end. They filled that big room in Ankeny well enough!
  • dynamo said:
    I just ordered a quad of the peerless 8 inchers. They really do nothing wrong. Worth it at normal price and a no brainer at the sale price!
    With the right tweeter those will make a killer MTM.  Or with a good mid a killer TMWW.
    rjj45
  • edited December 2019
    PWRRYD said:
    dynamo said:
    I just ordered a quad of the peerless 8 inchers. They really do nothing wrong. Worth it at normal price and a no brainer at the sale price!
    With the right tweeter those will make a killer MTM.  Or with a good mid a killer TMWW.
    I was thinking a big mtm too. Kind of wish those big Beston waveguide ribbons weren’t so expensive. I might just mate them with an RST28F, even they are more deserving of the big corundum.  I just don’t want to rob my safaris of the corundum, don’t want to order more tweeters, and have the RST28Fs. I also have some Seas H1212s and Seos waveguides; that could be a good pairing for those too. Any suggestions?
  • Hey, maybe use those RST28F's with the Visaton R146 round waveguides.  They are only ~$13 each.  I bet you could cross around 1500 Hz LR4.
  • edited December 2019
    Hmm, not a bad idea. I always forget about those visaton guides. The rst28 has a low fs and are nice and sensitive, so maybe it’s a better match than I give it credit for. I could get 92db with 4db bsc. Thanks, I just ordered a pair of the guides. 
  • HD6xx are on the way.  For the price/performance, and all the great reviews I don't think the Schiit Magni can be beat but I like the tube option of the Vali.  No cyber Monday specials on them so there's really no buy now pressure.          
  • Kornbread said:
    HD6xx are on the way.  For the price/performance, and all the great reviews I don't think the Schiit Magni can be beat but I like the tube option of the Vali.  No cyber Monday specials on them so there's really no buy now pressure.          
    The hd650s should be nice. I have hd598s and they are decent but could use more bottom end. I have heard that the 650s have that better fuller low end. Enjoy!
  • I don't know if it is temporary or when it started, but the limit on free shipping in the CONUS has dropped to $49. 
  • It was still a hundred last night when I ordered.
  • Probably just for the holidays, shows $49 minimum right now. 
    I have a signature.
  • I would buy more frequently if free shipping was at $50 over $100. 
      So far I have resisted all their sales this season...
  • kenrhodes said:
    I would buy more frequently if free shipping was at $50 over $100. 
    Yep, me too.
  • PWRRYD said:
    kenrhodes said:
    I would buy more frequently if free shipping was at $50 over $100. 
    Yep, me too.
    Same here on resisting all their sales.
  • I try to only buy on the sales if a particular item is a really good deal, like 40% off or so, and if I know I’ll use it. If I need something I try to wait until I have a $100 order for free shipping, and if I have a $10 off $100 coupon. I would also order more frequently if free shipping was always at $50.
  • I didn't notice free shipping had dropped to $49 until now. I ordered another pair of the Peerless. That price is just too good to pass up. Time for an all Peerless HDS WWMTM with 832873s for mids. Now I just need to decide which Peerless tweeter I'll use. NE19VTS-04s, XT25sc90s, and DA25s are all on the shelf. 
  • what are those plastic thingies called that we can put in the speaker screw holes and keep the drivers upside down? and where can i get them?
  • I think you are not alone, Ani! I stock up when they come with them.
  • ani_101 said:
    what are those plastic thingies called that we can put in the speaker screw holes and keep the drivers upside down? and where can i get them?
    Oops! I throw a lot of those away 😳
  • huh, somebody must be making them... but i can't find any reference to them online... don't even know what they are called....
  • Meniscus sent me a few once.
  • Golf tees work.
    rjj45
    I have a signature.