Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Sales, deals, and steals - formerly known as the "PE DOTD" thread.

Comments

• jr@mac said:
    I think everyone should, and we can have a battle of the budget 3-ways at Iowa2020
    +1
    kenrhodesS7910
  • With the hivi dome?
  • I liked the budget 3-way idea
    S7910
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I liked the budget 3-way idea
    Me too.
  • Maybe a few rules, non-competitive arrangement. Similar to the accidental Iron Driver style we had at DDIY one year - remember we had 4-5 designs show up with the same tweeter.

I have some ideas already for drivers. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited December 2019
    Spill it. I am in the process of working on next year's build. Summer will be reserved for finishes. Maybe I can put to use some drivers I might have given away....

But I also have a few (more than) top shelf drivers that are looking sad and lonely.... Need to put them to use too... 
    rjj45
  • edited December 2019
    jr@mac said:
    Maybe a few rules, non-competitive arrangement. Similar to the accidental Iron Driver style we had at DDIY one year - remember we had 4-5 designs show up with the same tweeter.

I have some ideas already for drivers. 

I'd be up for it. What were you thinking for an upper cap on drivers?

Maybe call it a group build instead of a shootout since we'd be building to a theme in a non-competitive arrangement. For an example of what I'm talking about see here: http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/29/t/180713.aspx

• ~$40/driver maybe? $25? Maybe no limit on total cost, but per driver might be fun. See how many line arrays with multiple GRS 12" subwoofers show up :)

I do not personally want a competitive aspect, but these events are for you guys so if consensus is that a shootout of sorts will be welcome, we will do our best to accommodate within the bounds of the overarching rules and tradition at IowaDIY since 2012. However, it would be fun to listen to several designs with a common theme - $200 3-way, for example. 

Stay tuned. 
    I have a signature.
  • I like the per driver limit. I also have a bunch of nla drivers that i would like to use. They may not have been budget in their heyday, but are certainly now as no one would like at them now...
  • jr@mac said:
     - $200 3-way, 
    I like those two rules  :)
    PWRRYD
  • I'd be down for $45 per driver, no max limit for the pair. Let's just have some fun and not worry too hard about repeatability.
  • So how would the nla mcm buyout drivers be costed?  And do any crossover parts count towards the total? 
  • Kornbread said:
    So how would the nla mcm buyout drivers be costed?  And do any crossover parts count towards the total? 

That already sounds too complicated lol. 

I'll start another thread and we can talk it out over there. My opinions on rules are well known, so I'll leave it up to the guys who want to participate. I might mediate things, however, if I see it going to far down that path. I really don't think we need another event like Indy - and that is a compliment, Ben. Variety is the spice of life, dontcha know.
    rjj45Wolfhifiside
    I have a signature.
  • Indy is Indy, too many too similar events wouldn't be fun. 
  • I agree that we don't need another competition.  I didn't get into DIY to "win".  That said, I think that if a few of us showed up to Iowa with passive 3 ways all using the same TB 2" dome mid it would be fun to run them all contiguously.
  • I need to run about 75 feet of wire to my rear surround sound speakers in the new house.  While I don't subscribe to a lot of cable hype I'm debating if oxygen free copper is worthwhile from a corrosion stand point.  The ends will be soldered on banana connectors.  Maybe it does not matter after the ends are soldered on?  

https://www.parts-express.com/audtek-electronics-52144h9a-14-4-ofc-in-wall-cl2-speaker-cable-wire-100-ft--101-215

• I need to run about 75 feet of wire to my rear surround sound speakers in the new house.  While I don't subscribe to a lot of cable hype I'm debating if oxygen free copper is worthwhile from a corrosion stand point.  The ends will be soldered on banana connectors.  Maybe it does not matter after the ends are soldered on?  

https://www.parts-express.com/audtek-electronics-52144h9a-14-4-ofc-in-wall-cl2-speaker-cable-wire-100-ft--101-215

I'm not an EE, but I don't think that OFC matters if the end is soldered. What OFC does is prevent oxidation of the ends. Try soldering some 10 year old 14 gauge zip cord wire. Eeeks.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • do you need 14/4? 14/2 is a lot cheaper.... but then if you are going inwall, better to have two extra wire.

https://www.parts-express.com/jsc-wire-14-awg-2c-audiophile-grade-speaker-cable-100-ft-cl3--100-762

• Two speakers in the rear, it's cheaper to run 4 conductor vs. 2, 2-conductor.
  • Flash Sale today, coupla three items that stood out to me...

Beston RT2002A is $30

https://www.parts-express.com/beston-rt002a-ribbon-tweeter--277-112

Some other nice stuff in there, as well. 

F6 is $35

https://www.parts-express.com/hivi-f6-6-1-2-bass-midrange--297-440

The bigassed W4 is $45:

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w4-1720-4-underhung-midbass-driver--264-872

I have a signature.
  • I had my eye on those W4's - $85 at Solen - but buying 2 from PE at that price is only $20 less than from Solen after taxes and duty etc.
  • I had my eye on those W4's - $85 at Solen - but buying 2 from PE at that price is only $20 less than from Solen after taxes and duty etc.
    There's plenty of decent deals at Solen - SB12NRX and SB15NRX are both on sale, as are a handful of nice Peerless drivers.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I was eye'n that F6 Ben
  • My HiVi domes came today.  I wasn't expecting something so substantial. 

Ron
    dcibel
  • So I grabbed a pair, as well. That is a lot of driver for the money, no doubt. 
    I have a signature.
  • My on sale order from PE just arrived.  Two comments...

That HiVi DMB-A is a beast for sure!  Wow!  I hope it performs well.

The HiVi F6 has to have the largest mounting flange on a driver frame I have ever seen!   It has a 7.75" OD frame for only a 5" cone.  By comparison the Usher 8945A has a 7" diameter frame for a 5.75" cone (extreme example I know).

Anyway, both drivers look very well built.  We'll let the ears and measurements determine how good they are.
  • Remember to let the F6 breakup live. It is fine running up to 3.5kHz if need be. It looks jagged and awful, but sounds great.

The DMB-A is a beast of a dome. I have a set of DMN-A and DMB-A waiting.
  • Wow, 2 day sale!  I'm never one to push my designs but the ND90-8 is on sale for $14.98.  If someone wants to build Paul C.'s Sprite or a soundbar like mine....

Also the truncated RS150 for <$25!