Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Comments

• To be clear, the 100V 1.8uF cap on the pre-built I do not plan on keeping (free for the taking) - but the 20awg 0.46mH coil is a good deal as long as a guy is willing to spend a few minutes on removing it. 
    I have a signature.
  • PE will probably just push their own branded coils.
  • I'm guessing so.
    I have a signature.
  • Those copper foil coils any good [better] compared to regular ol' roundwire wound coils?
  • They look pimp, though. 
    Silver1omo
    I have a signature.
  • @OscarJr they're better at emptying your wallet ;) I recall some independent testing some years back that showed they actually perform a bit worse than an equivalent standard air core coil.
    R-CarpenterkennykOscarJrrjj45
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • In my subjective testing, I preferred the round wire on tweeters, and also the woofers. But- on the woofers I preferred the litz wire coils more than the standard round wire.
  • I don’t blame PE if they only carry the new Dayton inductors as they are so cheap I bet their sales on the other brands has tanked. Still would be nice to see them carry the other brands as a service to the customers who want them though. That’s ok though cuz PE isn’t the only game in town. I’ll go where I need to get what I want. I just got the crossover parts for my RSX project and actually sourced them from four different  places to get exactly the parts I wanted (pe, mad, sonic craft, and meniscus).
  • edited May 2019
    I use to use the Jantzen air core inductors.  I liked that they always measured spot on or a little high (2-5%) because I always measured and unwound if necessary.  Lately I've been buying the cheaper Dayton brand.  My last pair which were supposed to be 1.0 mH.  They actually measured 0.96 mH.  I wonder if that's why they are cheaper?  No QC!  Also, when you unwind the Daytons some of the enamel coating gets peeled off the lower layer.
    kennyk
  • Has anyone else measured Dayton coils below spec or is it just the few I've measured?
  • I've found them to be accurate.  Most have been .40 mH and smaller air coils and 1.0 to 3.0 mH steel laminate.  Those were probably bought in October(?) Maybe the newer ones have issues?  I've got a few more I can measure.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • An actual of 0.96 on an advertised 1.0 is still within 5%. I find the Dayton coils to be a solid value - although the cheap bobbin they use to keep costs down on the laminate core are harder to mount than the equivalent Erse. 

That being said, I always buy/grab the next size up and unwind to my preferred value. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said: I find the Dayton coils to be a solid value - although the cheap bobbin they use to keep costs down on the laminate core are harder to mount than the equivalent Erse. 
    The laminate cores are harder to mount since they have no mounting holes.  I also find that all the Dayton coils seem to have short leads compared to the competition. I guess they have to save every penny they can.

Ron
    kennyk
  • Received my coils/pre-fab boards today. The coils on the pre-fab are 20awg, measure on-board at 0.47 and after removal I discovered they are not especially well bonded so some extra care needs to be taken to keep them from getting too effed up. I unwound a solid 2" lead from either end, and measured them in at 0.46mh/0.48ohm DCR. Good enough for shunt coils in notch filters etc. 

I used some Michael's colored zipties to keep it together. All said and done, not a terrible deal for this coil considering removing it from the board and ziptying it took all of two minutes or so.

kenrhodesThumperTom
    I have a signature.