Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

SB 2.5" dome

Coming soon...

Rear chamber is far too small and tube shaped unfortunately.

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
Tagged:

Comments

• FS maybe low but it would be crossed a little high for my liking. What freq is it's TL tuned? Maybe in a 4way.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • It is smooth, but a 450FS and a 1K roll off? 🤷‍♂️
  • kennyk said:
    FS maybe low but it would be crossed a little high for my liking. What freq is it's TL tuned? Maybe in a 4way.
    Looks like 700Hz to me, quite obvious in the frequency response and impedance plot. 1/4 wavelength of 700Hz is 4.84". Dimensions show 5" from the face-plate to the back of the chamber..Chamber isn't big enough and isn't sufficiently damped.
  • 6thplanet said:
    It is smooth, but a 450FS and a 1K roll off? 🤷‍♂️
    Yeah, I've got a Wavecor 30mm tweeter with those performance specs.
  • Perhaps useful in a 3 way to bridge a moderately high reaching 8-10 incher with a ribbon or small dome Tweet?  Scanspeak Rev 22w can cross around 1k and Satori 9.5 a tad higher. I would think this would lend itself to nice dispersion (similar to Morel mdm55). Thoughts?
  • edited June 2019
    dcibel said:
    Looks like 700Hz to me, quite obvious in the frequency response and impedance plot. 1/4 wavelength of 700Hz is 4.84". Dimensions show 5" from the face-plate to the back of the chamber..Chamber isn't big enough and isn't sufficiently damped.
    That's strange isn't it?  I would think the rear chamber piece and the damping material would be some of the cheapest parts in the whole assembly.  Maybe if the unit price isn't too high a DIY'r could buy a pair, cut off the rear chambers and 3D print a proper rear chamber design with enough damping material.
  • No thanks. Looks great from the front, though.
    I have a signature.
  • Is this the same SB dome mid that Javad did that silly video from Axpona about?
  • Yep.
  • edited June 2019
    PWRRYD said:
    dcibel said:
    That's strange isn't it?  I would think the rear chamber piece and the damping material would be some of the cheapest parts in the whole assembly.  Maybe if the unit price isn't too high a DIY'r could buy a pair, cut off the rear chambers and 3D print a proper rear chamber design with enough damping material.
    3D print? Construct out of scrap wood, or even 1L Rubbermaid container would work better than this elaborate tube. It has some wings to look cool and all, but at the end it's just a straight tube that's too small. Who knows what SB was thinking with that.

Looking at Javad's video (1:30 mark), it looks like the chamber is screwed in from the back. If it's not glued as well, it could be easy to remove.

• I may weigh in (or not) about how ridiculous it is to see an expensive driver and first reactions are "I'ma cut this and stuff that". 

Guess I weighed in. SB missed this by a fucking mile.
    rjj45
    I have a signature.
  • edited June 2019
    Unless it has a $30 price tag, MDM55 looks much better.

By putting the wording "tuned closed end transmission line chamber" in the feature list, makes it sound like the crappy chamber was on purpose. I don't understand...
  • I guess I can see why you are all complaining, and yes it sure has a high FS, but it also has a few features I like. High sensitivity, very smooth response in it's working range, and the weird resonance bump in impedance might make filtering it simpler (instead of one large peak you have to damp). In the end though I suppose it'll come down to distortion performance and cost for me, when making a judgement.
    rjj45
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • If a 1k xo point is the target, it will be fine. I guess I would see if filling the chamber would yield usefully extension gains - the Dayton ring radiator had the same issue, too large a chamber for the moving parts passed off as a feature. 
    I have a signature.
  • I talked to the SB rep at AXPONA this year and he said they modeled and prototyped many different sizes and shapes to get the combination of performance characteristics seen here.  In fact, at the show, the chamber on the prototype driver was clearly 3D printed.  I was hoping for something that could cross around 600Hz though when I saw it there.

Dan
    rjj45JasonP
  • Maybe interesting to some:  SB Acoustics removed the driver from the Coming Page (although you can still access the link in the drop-down).  They removed the picture and all parameters.  Maybe the early feedback sent them back to the drawing board?

http://www.sbacoustics.com/index.php/coming-soon/2-5-md60n-6/

rjj45
  • dcibel said:
    Unless it has a $30 price tag, MDM55 looks much better.

By putting the wording "tuned closed end transmission line chamber" in the feature list, makes it sound like the crappy chamber was on purpose. I don't understand...
    Yep, I really like the sound 
  • If they discontinue the speaker, keep your eyes open for close outs. Hope they made a ton. 😁
    rjj45
    ............. could you hum a few bars.