Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Question about sealing painters tape to stop paint bleed onto wood veneer

as the title says, looking for tips to prevent paint bleed onto veneer. Planning to veneer the sides and paint the front and back. Would be veneered first then 45 degree chamfer then paint. How to stop the paint bleed onto the veneer?   

Comments

• edited June 2019
    The green "Frog tape" is significantly better than the generic blue tape. You can get a variation of the green tape for delicate veneers that is yellow.  Put the tape on the veneer, then go around all the edges with your finger and press it down tightly. IME, you will still get a little paint bleed on the veneer in spots.
    I've done this many times, still not entirely happy with the results.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • It's easy enough to make up a couple of test pieces of veneered ply. See if you are happy with the results. Once again, IME, you don't want to "flood" the paint onto the piece where it meets the tape. Carefully apply the paint sparingly up to the line.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Try to finish the veneer first. That will stop the paint from staining the veneer and fills the pores helping to make a good tape seal.  You can use a xacto to scrap any tiny bleed throughs.  I've also done clear caulk and Sealcoat on the edges but that can create paint lift off and other bleed through issues.
    Silver1omohifisideDanP
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • As already mentioned, seal/finish the veneer before painting. Otherwise it will absorb the paint. The tape won't stop the veneer from acting like a sponge. 
  • Or you can paint first, it is easier to touch up the paint than removing paint from unfinished veneer. 
  • ok, related question, how do you trim veneer at an angle. I can paint the entire box (will take longer)and then veneer, but now sure how to trim veneer at 45 deg angle
  • I used a veneer saw and cleaned it up with a cabinet scraper and hard sanding block
    dcibel
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I've used a straight edge clamped to the enclosure, then install a V cut bit on the router. As mentioned, finish the veneer first, then tape and paint. Light coat of paint to seal to the tape and try to remove the tape while the paint is wet to keep from a jagged edge.
  • ^ What he said.
  • ani_101 said:
    ok, related question, how do you trim veneer at an angle. I can paint the entire box (will take longer)and then veneer, but now sure how to trim veneer at 45 deg angle
    I use a really sharp framing slick which is a really big chisel they use to build timber frame buildings. 
  • all good ideas, will give it a try this week... we will get some sun mid week - otherwise it's all thunderstorms!
  • @Ron_E ; is that vinyl under that plastic? 
  • Kornbread said:
    @Ron_E ; is that vinyl under that plastic? 
    It was.  I had about 7-8 linear feet of vinyl that mostly went to a used record store cheap. I still have a box of jazz and classical left. Nobody wants classical and the jazz customers were too picky. One tick and they wouldn't touch it. 

Ron
  • I sealed the veneer on these first and then glued the baffle in place. I used yellow frog tape to keep a tight seal and keep any glue out. After flush trimming the baffle I again used the yellow frog tape to keep paint off the veneer. It really worked well, no paint got through. 
    jhollander
  • Jeff_F said:
    I sealed the veneer on these first and then glued the baffle in place. I used yellow frog tape to keep a tight seal and keep any glue out. After flush trimming the baffle I again used the yellow frog tape to keep paint off the veneer. It really worked well, no paint got through. 
    thanks jeff. Did you spray or brush/roll on the paint?
  • ani_101 said:
    thanks jeff. Did you spray or brush/roll on the paint?
    I sprayed on a filler primer and also finished with a black spray paint.