Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Newform ribbons

Has anyone here ever heard the newform ribbons, the longer ones like R30 or R45? I've always been intrigued by them, but very hard data on them seems to be out there. How do they stack up to other ribbons and 'modern' drivers in general?

Comments

• Not a sea of information there. Very crappy pictures.
    I remember one guy using their long ribbon but aside from , "it's awesome " comment (which is normal then someone spends $$$ on the driver) I wasn't able to get more description.
  • Do they sound best when the block your midrange drivers? (google image search results)
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I'm a ribbon fan and have always wondered about the Newform sound. 
  • Newform Research is about 1-1/2 hours north of me.

It's a pretty crappy website.
    https://www.newformresearch.com/index.php/diy-loudspeaker-kits/kits
  • dcibel said:
    Do they sound best when the block your midrange drivers? (google image search results)
    That's the highly recommended rudder mount adapter. Steers the sound directly to the sweet spot.
  • Well it sure steered me! :p
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • The web site may be suspect, and the pricing over the top, but apparently they are successful and have been in business a while.  Good for them! I've seen worse.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • If I hadn't read positive reviews of them everywhere, including from folks who had tried the other 'big boy' planars and ribbons like BG, Apogee, Maggies, etc. I would be skeptical... but as is everyone seems to have positive things to say about them, poor website notwithstanding. 

The old audio ideas guide review had measurements at least:

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/newform_r645.html

I've no doubt they sound great, but details on the technology are sparse so hard to compare to 'modern' drivers like the newer AMTs, RAAL, Hivi planars, etc. 
    rjj45