Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

fyi, should you build your own speakers... PS Audio forum

edited August 2019 in DIY

Comments

• edited August 2019

I have to agree with PSAudio in a sense, that if cost is your sole motivation, go get a pair of ELACs and enjoy. If you like woodworking and have a genuine interest in acoustic design and technology, welcome to the world of speaker design. It's a hobby, not a means of cost savings.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • edited August 2019
    I'd agree with the cost issue as well (on the lower end, anyway).
    Just wanted to share the site info, and point out that some of you guys make some very impressive speakers...
  •   Paul should build a kit and see how he likes it... Or better yet come to a show and see how the MAC does it. I think if he came and listened to some of our diy stuff he would see that there is far more good than bad. 
      Comparing mass produced speakers to DIY will always be hard to do probably the best comparison is the complete kit with cnc cabinets vs retail. With this comparison the only variable is the labor to complete the kit. The CSS p215 kits are extremely well done and price wise compare to the cost of ELAC speakers. I think a shoot out between these two would be a great way for the public to see how much your sweat equity can stretch your dollar to the next level of HIFI.
      Seems like if Paul really wanted to give advice he should have a little more experience or do more research on the subject matter. i like his youtube channel but I don't buy everything he's selling: https://www.psaudio.com/products/ac12-power-cable/
    S7910
  • I confess to not having read the article, but do know how much a pair of new NHT2.5i cost me.  And yes, I'm sure my decision is biased, but I have built speakers that, in my surely opinionated opinion, sound better in most every way for less money.  Appearance ... well, I have a lot of learning to do.                   
    rjj45
  • Kornbread said:
    I confess to not having read the article, but do know how much a pair of new NHT2.5i cost me.  And yes, I'm sure my decision is biased, but I have built speakers that, in my surely opinionated opinion, sound better in most every way for less money.  Appearance ... well, I have a lot of learning to do.                   
    I'm in awe of some of the "wood artists" we have in this hobby.
    For myself, I need to concentrate on the basics down in my wood shop.
    With each build, I think I get a bit better on box construction tolerances, fit and finish.
    R-CarpenterPWRRYD
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!