Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Outdoor Speakers

I would like to build some speakers for my backyard deck so i can smoke ribs and listen to music. It is an open air deck.  No walls or ceiling.

I need them to be weather proof.

What kind of drivers should i think about to perform in an open air space?  Is this a good application for horns?  I do not know much about horns.

Thanks!
Chad

Comments

• Lots of pro drivers are described as having waterproof cones and surrounds. I don't know if that means occasional sprinkles that get wiped off, or a soaking downpour that lasts 3 days. You might call the folks at usspeaker.com
    Since it is 4 pi outdoor space, high efficiency would be good also. Another plus for pro drivers.
    http://usspeaker.com/
    Archer60x
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • Has anyone tried to "crossover" exciters?  Like put one on a thin carbon fiber material and only send 10-20KHz to it.  Then put one on plastic and send 400-10K Hz to it.  Then put one on a hollow plastic shape for 20-400Hz.  Kind of a exciter "di-pole" on different materials?
  • OH thats right after looking at exciters they make those bass shakers that can handle the low end.  I think this could be a really interesting experiment to try to make at two way or three way exciter array.  I guess the is the best term for what i am thinking.

• I also see an application for those with 3D printers.  How can we use an exciter with printed materials that will help shape the sound?
  • After many of the, IIRC, daex32ep failing, some during the first frequency sweep, I came to the conclusion that they behave similar to normal speakers in that the resonances of a 'panel', especially the lower frequencies, can 'overdrive' the xmax of the exciter.  Before ending the experiment, my thoughts were to make more of a conventional 2-way using a bass shaker for the lows and crossing to a smaller panel/exciter for the mid/highs.  This could also be done on one panel simply by separating it by cutting a channel across it serving to terminate resonances.  Also wondered about placing everything on the same panel, sans any channeling/grooving, and seeing what happened. 

There's very little our there where the average diyr' can model the panel/exciter placement/resonances, that I am aware of.     
    Archer60x
  • Google marine speakers. It looks like the car audio folks make drivers for boats too.

Ron
    Archer60x
  • After a little more thought, placing both the bass shaker and the smaller exciter on the same panel might be a bad thing as the resonances of the bass shaker might overdrive the smaller exciter.
  • Thanks Ron_E.  The marine drivers are interesting.  Some even have LED lights so i can have a light show while listening!  :)  
  • Heck they even have waterproof revievers with bluetooth and other protocols.  I just need to power it.  I could build this whole setup into the grill table on my deck.

https://www.rocktheboatmarinestereo.com/html/85947.html