Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Saying goodbye to a workhorse

edited November 2019 in Related
My old reliable workhorse Technics SA-5360 has finally given up after many years of service. The STK amp module on the Left side was taken out by a power outage last week. Those modules are pretty much unobtanium these days. This nice little receiver was a thrift store find in the early 2000s - I think I paid less than $10 for it. It's been buried behind a cabinet door for at least 15 years, providing amplification for my desktop computer. It was powered up almost that entire time, only shut off for the rare vacuuming of dust bunnies or if we went on an extended vacation. 

RIP good ole' Technics!

Comments

• That looks like a pretty good chassis - maybe you can rebuilt a modern amp in there and use the funky meters?
  • Those STK modules were the original chipamp. If the rail voltage is right you could possibly hack in a little LM3886 board to put it back into service.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Totally! Save it. Or hit the thrift store and rescue another long forgotten unit.
  • I thought about throwing a digital amp board in this. I have a few floating around. The rails are 35 volts but I don't know if there's enough voltage coming off the preamp section to drive a chipamp board. And the last thing I need is another project. If I collected vintage Technics gear I would try to save it, but I'm a silver Pioneer guy - with a few Marantz pieces too.

If anyone here wants this receiver, it's yours - just pay the shipping. If not, I'll probably just put it up on Ebay as a parts unit. I'm sure somebody can use the remaining good STK0182 module to fix a broken amp or receiver.
  • There is one of those chips on eBay for about $35 right now.
    I have a signature.
  • I saw that one. I've heard so many stories about fakes that I'm reluctant to buy those from anyone who isn't active on one of the audio forums.
  • I understand, and a well founded fear. I bought counterfeit opamps once. 
    I have a signature.
  • I thought ApexJr had some of those...
  • Yeah me too.  But his site looks down at the moment.
  • Yeah- I saw that too when I went to look.
  • He will answer if you call him. 
    I have a signature.
  • Wow - what a coincidence. I'm looking at a pair of power transformers i bought from Apex years ago. I'll give him a call. Thanks!!
  • Drat - Steve is sold out of them. Looks like this thing is a parts unit now.  :'(
  • Tom , if you decide to part let me know. Im looking for a push button for the front an old Marantz . One of yours might work?

Thanks
  • This link is worth exporing. https://www.vyrian.com/parts.html?mfgPartNo=STK0182
    If they cant get you parts let me know. I bet I can find one.
  • Tom , if you decide to part let me know. Im looking for a push button for the front an old Marantz . One of yours might work?

Thanks
    I'll let you know Nick. These Technics buttons are 9mm. I just checked a Marantz 2238 and the smaller ones in the tuning dial bezel are 10mm.
  • kenrhodes said:
    This link is worth exporing. https://www.vyrian.com/parts.html?mfgPartNo=STK0182
    If they cant get you parts let me know. I bet I can find one.
    Thanks for the link! I'll drop them a line and see how much these are going for.